Whether you already have a boat or are buying one, you’ll need a suitable boat wax to keep your vessel free from oxidation. It will also retain the brightness and clarity of your boat’s paintwork, which can fade otherwise.
Some of the best boat waxes will also work to fill in imperfections on your boat’s surface – providing a sleeker overall look and finish. It is advised to apply a full wax coating at least 1 or 2 times a year to keep it looking great and in peak performance. The alternative is you might have to end up repainting your boat, which is likely to be a costly endeavor.
The problem is there are now so many different types of boat waxes to choose from online. So we’ve put together a review with the 11 best boat waxes. We’ve highlighted the key features and provided the pros and cons of each product. This way it should be easier to choose the right boat wax for your needs.
Best Boat Waxes
$25.08 in stock
2 used from $21.12
- BOAT POLISH: One 32 oz bottle of Meguiar's Flagship Premium Marine Wax offers long-lasting polymer protection and incredible deep gloss to fiberglass and gel coat surfaces
- OXIDATION REMOVER: Boat cleaner polish removes light oxidation, fine scratches and swirls to bring out the full richness of the surface
- UV PROTECTANT: Provides long-lasting protection against UV damage and wear
- DAZZLING SHINE: Meguiar's boat polish dramatically enriches color and shine, leaving an incredible, deep gloss
- EASY TO APPLY: Dispense a small amount of boat wax onto an applicator; spread a thin, even coat over the surface; and remove with a microfiber or cotton towel
Meguiar’s Flagship Premium Marine Wax comes as 32 fluid ounces and delivers an incredibly deep gloss for gel coat or fiberglass surfaces.
- UV damage protection
- Use with hand pads/polishers
- Long-lasting formula
- Removes light oxidation
- Deals with fine scratches/swirls
This boat polish is made to provide a long-lasting deep gloss finish, to keep your vessel looking fresh and performing well. It protects your fiberglass or gel coat finish from UV exposure over long periods. Plus, it works to rid the boat’s surface of light oxidation, and it covers up scratches and swirls well.
- Works for gel coat/fiberglass boats
- Use with a variable speed polisher
- Suitable for hand polishing
- Brings out color and shine
- Long-lasting deep gloss finish
- Very little needs to be applied
- Reasonably priced
- Not as long-lasting as some other more premium options.
Why it’s recommended: This is a reasonably priced marine wax that will bring out a deep glossy shine on your boat. Plus, only a very little needs to be applied to get the sleek-looking finish you want.
Star Brite Premium
- Specially formulated for use on fiberglass, metal, plexiglass and painted surfaces and can be applied over old wax or polish
- Maximum UV protection and shine lasts up to 4 to 5 times longer than other marine waxes
- PTEF is the slickest, non-stick material ever developed and will actually increase hull speed
- UV inhibitors help stop fading and oxidation while PTEF polymers repel water, oil based stains and marine deposits, making future cleanup quick and easy
- For medium to heavy oxidation, use Star brite Premium Cleaner Wax
Star Brite Premium Marine Polish is specially formulated for metal, plexiglass, and fiberglass surfaces and can be applied over older wax or polish applications.
- UV protection
- Multi-surface application
- Apply over previous applications
- Increases hull speed
- Stops fading/oxidation
- Repels water
This premium offering from Star Brite can increase your hull speed as it repels water and creates a super slick finish. It uses UV inhibitors to prevent fading and oxidation. It also repels marine deposits and oil-based stains that can commonly occur.
- Premium high gloss finish
- Nonstick properties
- Seals and protects
- Lasts longer than ordinary marine waxes
- Prevents fading/oxidation
- Made in the USA
- Very dangerous if ingested in any way
- Not ideal for oxidation removal
Why it’s recommended: If you’re looking for a premium long-lasting boat wax that can help improve hull performance, Star Brite Premium Marine Polish is a definite go-to choice.
- One 16oz. bottle of Fiberglass Boat Cleaner and one 16oz. bottle of Fiberglass Boat Wax
- Cleaner restores neglected fiberglass finishes effected by weathering
- Preps surface for follow-up wax shine and protection
- Wax enhances look while protecting finish
- Provides excellent coating of durability
Collinite offers a great deal with their 920 Fiberglass Boat Cleaner and 925 Fiberglass Boat Wax Combo Pack.
- 2 products in 1 pack
- 16-ounce Fiberglass Boat Cleaner
- 16-ounce Fiberglass Boat Wax
- Cleaner restores boat surfaces
- Wax adds shines and protection
- Made to work together
Here, Collinite offers a hassle-free all-in-one solution to clean, restore, and protect your fiberglass boat. Both of these products have been specifically designed to complement each other and provide you with long-lasting and durable protection. The cleaner will remove scratches and weathering, while the wax will enhance and protect your boat’s finish.
- All-in-one solution
- Complementary products
- Cleaner removes visible weathering
- Wax gives a layer of protection
- Application of both achieves a smooth finish
- Very affordable
- Large 16-ounce bottles
- Only suited for fiberglass hulls or other similar fiberglass surfaces
Why it’s recommended: For owners of fiberglass boats, the Collinite Combo Pack is an ideal way to ensure that your boat is kept clean and glossy all year round.
3M Marine Restorer
- Removes heavy oxidation
- Polishes to restore shine and color
- Unique formula combines rubbing compound and wax
- Recommended for boats and RVs
3M Marine Restorer & Wax comes as a large 32-ounce bottle, although there is a 16-ounce option you can choose – both at very agreeable prices.
- Heavy oxidation removal
- Restores shine and color
- Rubbing compound and wax combined
- Use for boats and RVs
- Only one application needed
- 2 in 1 solution
When first applied this 2 in one formula works to clean and restore your boat’s or RV’s surface. It will remove heavy oxidation, dock skid marks, exhaust stains, and rust deposits to then produce a glistening and fresh-looking finish. After just one application you will very quickly see the effects of this high-performance restorer and wax formula from 3M.
- Quick and easy to apply
- All-in-one solution
- Deep cleans oxidation and stains
- Rapidly shows results
- No need for multiple applications
- Works on numerous painted surfaces
- May take some effort for it to work how you want
- Could have been made to last a little longer
Why it’s recommended: For anyone that requires a hassle-free yet deep cleaning and protecting solution, 3M Marine Restorer & Wax should be very effective for your needs.
- MARINE WAX: Blends pure Brazilian carnauba wax with polymers and resins to provide durable long-lasting protection and extraordinary gloss
- UV PROTECTION: Protects against the sun’s ultraviolet rays
- USE WITH CONFIDENCE: Safe, effective and easy to use on all fiberglass gel coat and painted marine or RV surfaces
- IDEAL FINISH: Especially effective on dark colors and clear-coated metal flake finishes
- VERSATILE FORMULA: Effective by hand or by machine
The Meguiar’s Marine/RV Pure Wax Carnauba Blend uses Brazilian carnauba mixed with special polymers and resins to provide long-lasting protection.
- Brazilian carnauba used
- Maintains an extraordinary gloss effect
- Provides UV protection
- Safe and easy to use
- Use by hand or with a polishing machine
- Effective on fiberglass/gel coats
Brazilian carnauba is known for its high performance in protecting and retaining a glossy finish over long periods. Other polymers and resins provide UV protection from long exposure to the sun’s rays. This formula is also super simple to apply and is very safe to use by hand or with a polisher.
- High-quality formula
- Long-lasting gloss/shine
- Highly effective on dark colors
- Great for clear coated metal flake finishes
- Easy to apply by hand
- UV protection
- May need more than one application for desired results
Why it’s recommended: If you own a boat with dark-colored fiberglass or gel coat surfaces, Meguiar’s Carnauba Blend will really bring out the brightness for a smooth and well-maintained finish.
$36.00 in stock
- USE WHAT THE PROS USE - Refine, polish and wax gelcoat in one step, so you can get back on the water or the road.Fit Type: Universal Fit
- SAFE FOR GELCOATS AND FIBERGLASS – Marine compound and wax is scientifically formulated for boats and RVs
- BALANCED FORMULA – Removes moderate oxidation and scratches, ideal for compounding gelcoats
- EASY TO USE – Apply using a rotary buffer with a yellow 3M wool polishing pad; can also be applied by hand for small areas
- PART OF A FAMILY OF BOAT CARE PRODUCTS – Choose 3M Perfect-It Heavy Cutting Compound for heavier oxidation, Light Cutting Polish for light polishing and Boat Wax for high-gloss shine
Made primarily for gel coats, the 3M Perfect-It Gelcoat Medium Cutting Compound + Wax is a professional well-balanced formula to make your boat have long-lasting shine and protection.
- 1 step process
- Works with gel coats/fiberglass
- Removes moderate amounts of oxidation
- Ideally use with a rotary buffer and polishing pad
- Can be applied by hand in small areas
- Works for boats and RVs
Look no further for a fasting acting formula to clear up moderate oxidation and to protect your boat or RV from the elements. It’s made for use with both gel coats or fiberglass surfaces and only one application is needed for great results. However, it works best for compounding gel coats and it can help to deal with scuffs and small scratches.
- Perfect for compounding gel coats
- Works effectively with fiberglass
- Can be applied to RVs and motorhomes
- Fast-acting formula
- Easy to apply with a rotary buffer
- A rotary buffer with a yellow 3M wool polishing pad are recommended purchases for this formula to work at its best
Why it’s recommended: If you have large gel coats or fiberglass areas that need tending to, the 3M Perfect-It Gelcoat Medium Cutting Compound + Wax should make the process fluid and straightforward.
- Uses reactive chemistry to bond to your boat's surface for added durability
- Formula protects against weathering that can fade and degrade surfaces
- Maintains an exceptional gloss, especially when used with 3M boat cleaners and restorers
- Liquid wax is easy to apply
- Safe for use on gelcoat, fiberglass and topside paints
The 3M Scotchgard Marine Liquid Wax is available in 16.9 or 33.8 fluid ounce bottles and is made to protect against the harsh effects of the sun, fading, and environmental fallout.
- Enhances boat surface durability
- Protects against fading and degrading
- Gives an exceptional gloss
- Super easy to apply
- Use on gel coat, fiberglass and topside paints
If you require a beautiful gloss finish with minimal effort, the 3M Scotchgard Marine Liquid Wax is a great value for the money purchase. It protects against sun damage very well and your boat or RVs paintwork will be protected from fading. It’s safe to use on numerous surface types and the overall finish should last the test of time.
- Little effort needed
- Great value for the money
- Enhances surface durability
- Prevents fading/degrading
- Protects against sun damage
- Available in 2 sizes
- A fair amount needs to be applied for it to be effective
Why it’s recommended: 3M Scotchgard Marine Liquid Wax works to protect your boat from sun damage, degrading, and maintains a high-quality gloss finish over long periods.
$24.48 in stock
- A JUST-WAXED LOOK WITHOUT THE WORK – Ready-to-use spray-on cleaner and wax restores luster in minutes
- GREAT FOR BOATS AND RVs – Enhances the shine of fiberglass, gelcoat, marine topside paint and painted aluminum
- QUICK AND EASY – Sprays on right from the bottle and wipes off with 3M microfiber detailing cloth
- CLEANS AND SHINES – Strips away light contaminants, films and residue
- USE ANY TIME – Formula cleans and shines wet or dry surfaces
The 3M Marine Clean & Shine Wax is made for use on boats and RVs to enhance the shine of fiberglass, gel coats, marine topside paint, and painted aluminum surfaces.
- Enhances surface shine
- Easy spray-on bottle design
- Use with a detailing cloth
- Fast-acting solution
- Removes light contaminants
- Provides a “just waxed” look
If you’re not wanting to run through the effort of properly waxing your boat or RV, but want a “just waxed” finish in a short space of time, the 3M Marine Clean & Shine Wax is ideal. Just get your detailing cloth and quickly spray on the formula, and with a bit of elbow grease, your surface will shine. It’s also good to know that light contaminants, residue, and films will be removed in the process.
- Quick and easy to apply
- Only a detailing cloth is needed
- Deals with wet or dry surfaces
- Gives a high gloss wax appearance
- Great for boats, jet skis, RVs and other similar surfaces
- Convenient if quick clean is needed
- It won’t thoroughly deep-clean surfaces with lots of oxidation, scuffs, and scratches
Why it’s recommended: Clearly, this a quick and easy spray-on formula that can be used for regular cleans on fiberglass and painted surfaces to make them shine again.
$26.48 in stock
- Two products in one - A powerful boat wash and a durable wax to save you time and money
- Concentrated formula is extremely powerful and economical to use - 3 capfuls cleans and waxes a 25' boat
- Biodegradable formula contains no phosphates or harsh chemicals and will not remove polish or wax
- Leaves a durable polymer coating to protect against UV damage and weathering
- Star brite products have been made with pride in the USA since 1973
The Star Brite Sea Safe Boat Wash & Wax comes as a 32-ounce bottle and works as a 2 in 1 solution for boat owners.
- Powerful boat wash and wax
- Polymer coating provides durability
- 3 caps cleans/waxes a 25-foot boat
- Biodegradable solution
- Protects from UV damage/weathering
- US-made product
This all-in-one cleaning and waxing solution is easy to apply and works quickly to make your boat look fresh and sparkling again. The cleaning aspect should help to remove light oxidation, scratch marks, and water sports, while the waxing aspect provides a super durable polymer coating to protect your vessel from the elements. It’s also biodegradable and contains no phosphates or harsh chemicals.
- Contains no harsh chemicals
- All-in-one solution
- Protects well against the elements
- Little is needed for large surfaces
- Provides a beautiful gloss
- No hard rubbing/buffing needed
- Works on fiberglass/metal/painted surfaces
- It works more as a maintenance product rather than deep cleaner
Why it’s recommended: If you’re looking for a biodegradable all-in-one boat cleaning and waxing solution, this has to be one of the top choices to consider.
Star Brite Premium
- Enhances shine while adding protection against stains and UV exposure
- Ideal for use on colored fiberglass hulls
- Removes medium to heavy oxidation
- Can be applied by hand or with a buffer
Star Brite Premium Restorer Wax is made for heavy to medium oxidation removal comes as a 16 fluid ounce bottle.
- Ideal for colored fiberglass hulls
- Powerful heavy to medium oxidation remover
- Use by hand or with a buffer machine
- Protects from UV exposure
- Produces an enhanced shine
- No hard rubbing required
- Quick-drying formula
If oxidation is troubling you, Star Brite Premium Restorer Wax should really help you to properly clean your boat’s surface of oxidation and other stains easily. Where there is heavy oxidation, it may be that you have to apply a little more time and force to remove it. But overall, this US-made product works great and will leave an added polish after the clean.
- Brings out the color on fiberglass
- Deals with heavy oxidation
- Adds an extra polished finish
- Protection against sunlight
- Made in the USA
- Easy to apply
- Dirt and grit needs to be removed first before applying this formula
Why it’s recommended: Heavy oxidation can be a big problem for some boat owners, and Star Brite Premium Restorer Wax can especially deal with this problem well, especially as a fiberglass wax.
$22.43 in stock
- Marine wax offers long-lasting polymer protection and gives incredible deep gloss to fiberglass and gel coat surfaces
- UV protection guards against sun damage and wear to keep your boat looking bright and new
- Easy-to-use formula removes light oxidation and fine scratches and swirls
- Dramatically enriches color and shine while bringing out the full richness of your boat's surface
- Effective when used by hand or with dual action variable speed polisher
Using Meguiar’s Wax Flagship Marine Paste is a great way to attain long-lasting polymer protection on your boat’s hull.
- UV protection
- Removes light oxidation/swirls
- Enriches colors
- Works on fiberglass/gel coat surfaces
- Use by hand/variable speed polisher
- Includes an applicator pad.
Some boat owners dislike liquid boat waxes out of a bottle. Instead, they can opt for something like Meguiar’s Wax Flagship Marine Paste which is easily applied. Once applied it gives your boat incredible long-lasting polymer protection and it will give the colors on your boat vivid, bright, and protected from the sun’s harmful rays.
- Easy to apply by hand
- Cleans light oxidation issues
- Removes scum and stains
- Long-lasting polymer protection
- Doesn’t leave film/residue marks
- Great alternative to liquid boat wax
- Lasts a long time
- It can be a little dry when first received, but this can be worked out
Why it’s recommended: The Meguiar’s Wax Flagship Marine Paste is a strong alternative if you really don’t like working with liquid waxes. Plus, there’s plenty enough in the tub to deal with larger hulls and it will remove light oxidation and stains with ease.
As you will have noticed there are a variety of great boat wax and related products available on the market, with many of them having multiple purposes. In actuality, it would be wise to air some them up depending on your particular needs.
For example, you might need to remove a lot of heavy oxidation, and so you could choose the Star Brite Premium Restorer Wax to deal with that. Then you may need a wax that gives you a super glossy finish like the 3M Scotchgard Marine Liquid Wax. Lastly, you might want something to maintain the glossy look regularly, in which case the 9. 3M Marine Clean & Shine Wax would work very well.
Check out the OutdoorWorld Reviews homepage for more boating specific reviews and information.
Choosing the best wax for your boat is easy with our detailed reviews and ratings.
- Meguiar's Flagship
- Star Brite
- Collinite Combo
- 3M Marine Restorer
- Meguiar’s Marine
- 3M Perfect
- 3M Scotchgard Marine
- 3M Marine
- Star Brite Sea
- Star Brite Premium
- Meguiar's Wax