Many of us will have a particular nostalgia towards a classic-looking tackle box. I particularly remember walking along a pier with my father and spotting these rather large clunky containers with multiple compartments filled with all sorts of fishing gear, as well as the odd knick-knacks.
Walking into a fishing shop you’re bound to still come across them, but nowadays you’ll encounter very cleverly designed fishing backpacks too.
And, if you’re wanting to store your fishing gear in a compact, secure, and portable carrying solution then a tackle box might not cut the mustard. In this article, we’ll run you through a selection of our best fishing backpacks that you can get online.
There’s a huge variety of quality designs on offer that cover all the angling bases. Whether it’s bank angling, beach casting, fly fishing, recreational boat fishing, backcountry angling, night fishing, or whatever else you have in mind – there should be a backpack here to suit your budget and requirements.
Best Fishing Backpacks
1 used from $139.95
- FISH AT ALL HOURS: This lighted fishing tackle backpack features an integrated LED light system so you can fish any time of day.
- PROTECT YOUR GLASSES: This fishing tackle backpack has a mounted molded sunglass holder to help keep your glasses safe.
- REMOVABLE PLIER HOLDER: This fishing tackle backpack has a removable plier holder so your pliers go from bag to belt and are easy to find.
- PROTECTION FROM THE ELEMENTS: This fishing backpack features a protective rain cover that can be quickly deployed to keep your tackle backpack contents safe.
- CONVENIENT WORK SURFACE: The front pocket cover on this fishing tackle backpack folds down to provide a handy work surface.
The Wild River Tackle Tek comes with four PT3600 trays that are designed to fit securely inside.
- Detachable plier holder/retracting steel cable
- Strong internal/external mesh pockets
- Tough base pads
- Sternum strap and web loops
- Comfortable shoulder padding
- Rain cover and sunglasses holder
- Compartments for tray storage
What makes this fishing backpack so special is that it can be used conveniently around the clock. In the darker hours, there’s an integrated LED system in place so you can rummage with a clear view of all your tackle.
The front pocket can be folded down and doubles up as a work surface for intricate tasks such as hook threading. Also, the retractable steel cable is great for keeping keys or tools secure.
- Full-size all-in-one carrying solution
- Very tough and durable construction
- Excellent compartment design
- LED lighting for night angling
- Rain protection
- Very comfortable to walk with
- Perfect for bank/backcountry angling
- Premium-priced option
Why it’s recommended: For the serious fishing enthusiast that requires an all-in-one storage solution for rods and tackle, this Wild River backpack should be up to the task.
1 used from $52.55
- Adjustable main compartment can be divided into 2 separate inner compartments with movable clapboard in the main compartment: Top compartment to store personal items; Lower compartment holds up to 3 large 3670-size (12.4” x 8.9” x 2”) utility boxes (not included)
- Molded, hard, impact-resistant, waterproof base can hold another one 3670-size box (not included)
- Generous front pockets and large side pockets have been sized to fit most box styles and measurements or to accommodate other accessories or personal items; With water bottle holder & hard molded sunglasses compartment & Daisy chain webbing at front offering attachment points & Rod holder pockets and hook-and-loop straps at the side for attaching rods, rod tubes or nets & Plier pocket
- Ergonomic, breathable and padded back design; Adjustable padded shoulder straps with Molle webbing exterior & D ring gear attachments & Adjustable elastic chest straps & Adjustable waist straps
- Built-in rain cover at the back zippered pocket - keep your bag contents safe
The Bassdash Backpack is described as a tactical shoulder bag with a soft tackle box built-in.
- Rod holder built-in
- Protective rain covering
- Integrated tackle box
- Quality 600D polyester construction
- Hard-molded impact-resistant design
- Breathable padding
- Molle webbing
- Generous pocket sizes
- Waterproof base
With the ability to hold 3 large 3670-size boxes, you’ll have plenty of space to keep your fishing gear secure and transportable in a compact format.
There’s even a dedicated sunglasses compartment and the rod holder pockets are made strong, secure, and reliable. A built-in rain cover is also concealed easily when not in use in a back zippered pocket.
- Keeps fishing equipment dry
- Adjustable main storage
- Easy to use rain cover
- Comfortable padded back design
- Rugged/long-lasting 600D polyester
- Compartments fit most box styles
- It’s too compact to store a regular size tackle box
Why it’s recommended: This is a fishing backpack for compact carry that will function well in harsh environments due to its high-quality construction. It should work well for fishing enthusiasts that want decent mobility. Good examples include tournament fishing and backcountry angling.
Wild River Large
- PLENY OF STORAGE: Large upper storage area with removable divider, converts tackle backpack for storage of larger items
- COMFORTABLE: Large adjustable padded shoulder straps with added sternum strap are featured on this Wild River fishing tackle backpack for better comfort and fit
- BUILT IN WORK SURFACE: Front pocket cover folds down to provide a handy work surface on this Wild River tackle backpack.
- WATERPROOF POCKET: Clear internal pocket in tackle backpack keeps your valuables dry.
- TACKLE BACKPACK FITS FOUR TRAYS: Lower tray compartment for storage of up to four #3600 style trays
The Wild River Multi-Tackle Large Backpack comes with two 3600 style trays and has a comfort-focused design.
- Waterproof pocket
- Large upper storage compartment
- Fold-out work surface
- Comfortable design
- Tough base pads
- Front web loops
- Stores 3600 trays
As a reasonably priced fishing backpack, you get all the expected features and quality with Wild River from CLC. The lower storage area is designed to fit 3600 trays, while the upper section gives you plenty of room for storing larger equipment.
To keep valuables dry in some of the harshest conditions, there’s a clear and waterproof sealable compartment.
- Reasonably priced
- Two 3600 trays included
- Potential of four trays
- Base pads prevent wear
- Waterproof section
- Easy to use work surface
- Large upper storage
- Plenty of web loops
- The work surface won’t hold heavy loads
Why it’s recommended: For anyone that wants a reputable brand fishing backpack that won’t break the bank, this Wild River offering should definitely be considered.
Plano E-Series 3600
- Plano Tackle Storage | Protecting your passion since 1952 | E-Series Plano Tackle Backpack | The ultimate tackle storage
- Protect your tackle with the Durable, water-resistant exterior | Includes: Three 3600 Series StowAway Utility Boxes | Color: Black | Dimensions: 12.6”L x 17. 7”W x 7. 1”H
- Air mesh straps and padded back cushion | Interior and exterior mesh pockets | Features a soft felt pocket for sunglasses or cell phone
- Bright interior for improved visibility in low light | Hydration system compatible
- Great for pier fishing, creek fishing, and paddle board fishing since you can wear your tackle box and remain hands free
Some of the best fishing backpacks don’t have to be overly expensive, and this Plano E-Series 3600 is a great example.
- Waterproof exterior
- Durable design
- Air mesh straps
- Cushioned backing
- High visibility interior
- Hydration system availability
- Various mesh pockets
This sleek-looking Plano E-Series 3600 is a lightweight and extremely portable tackle carrying solution. It’s ideal for such pursuits as pier or creek fishing, where you might want to move to various fishing spots with ease. It allows you to work hands-free and even gives you the ability to include a hydration system.
- Affordable option
- Lightweight and portable
- Comes with three 3600 trays
- Use in low light conditions
- Weatherproof design
- Hands-free operation
- Fresh/saltwater use
- Easy access
- There is one zipper that opens two compartments at once
Why it’s recommended: It’s affordable, durable, lightweight, and very portable. Also, it’s a very comfortable design that can be worn for long periods.
- EXQUISITE 86 SEWING PROCEDURES - The Piscifun NEW Giant Tackle bag is made from superior high quality water-resistant 1200D high density nylon fabrics, paired with durable KAM buckle and SBS zippers. The precise 86 sewing procedures offer 20% higher water resistance and toughness.
- ELEVEN to EIGHTEEN - The whole fishing tackle backpack is divided into 11 independent rooms by high quality SBS zippers, the unique component design helps the rooms to be 18 relatively separated small areas in total. This exquisite feature provides you enough room to clarify all gears and necessaries.
- ADJUSTABLE MAIN COMPARTMENT - There is a removable clapboard in the main bag. You will get a super large L(12.6’’) * W(7.9’’) * H(17.7’’) room for the big size tackle by collapsing the clapboard. Opening the clapboard to have two equally separated rooms for more effective use with different stuff.
- COMFORTABLE AND ERGONOMIC - Thicker padded back with ergonomic breathable design paired with adjustable, breathable and padded shoulder straps give you better comfort. The reflective strips keep you safe at night by reflecting light. You also have a hard molded sunglasses case on the top.
- AFFORDABLE INNOVATION - Although the fishing tackle backpack has more features, including water-resistant 1200D high density nylon fabrics, protective rain cover, hard molded sunglasses case, KAM buckle and SBS zippers, the best feature is its low affordable price. It is the best all-around backpack for every angler. One Year Incredible Total Peace of Mind Warranty!
Available in Khaki, Black, or Camouflage, Piscifun offers a very practical and stylish-looking type of storage for your fishing gear.
- 86 sewing procedures used
- 1200D high-density nylon construction
- KAM buckles/SBS zippers
- 11 compartments
- Adjustable main section
- Breathable/extensively padded
- Sunglasses case
- Reflective strips for night time use
This is a fishing backpack that looks great but it has also been constructed to very high standards. 1200D high-density nylon has been sewn together with the use of 86 sewing procedures to make the backpack super strong, durable, and long-lasting.
It’s padded well and has plenty enough compartments to make this an ideal portable fishing tackle storage solution.
- Available in three colors
- Minimalistic/stylish design
- Extremely well-built
- 11 well-designed compartments
- Very breathable
- Comfortable padding
- Nighttime visibility
- The sunglasses casing might not fit certain types of sunglasses
Why it’s recommended: With a very high standard of construction and a simple yet stylish look, the Piscifun is a popular choice for many fishing enthusiasts. It’s practical, should last the test of time, and work for various types of fishing.
- Durable & Water Resistance - The fishing tackle bag is made of waterproof strong 1000D polyester with heavy duty zippers and buckles, it is ideal for rough use. Clear zippered interior pocket under the lid keeps your licenses and other valuables visible and secure. Rain cover stored in back pocket is to be used in rain for keep your stuffs dry.
- Large Capacity - The tackle bag has a very large capacity .L(14.2’’) * W(6.7’’) * H(16.5’’) The large main compartment with removable divider,converts backpack for storage of larger items.Two front zipper pockets, four zippered side pockets,two mesh pocket and waist pack provide additional carrying and plenty of extra storage for accessories
- Comfortable & Ergonomic Design - Thicker padded, breathable back panel and ergonomic shoulder straps give much better comfort when you carry. The waist pack can be stored into the back panel and used as waist belt with additional comfort. The reflective strips at front keep you safe at night.
- Anti-scratch bottom - Rugged base pads protect the backpack from being scratched on rocky or wet ground.
- Free Return & Refund Policy - We guarantee our products are made of high quality materials with good workmanship. We inspect each single item based on a strict quality standards before selling and shipping it to our customers. If a defect found on our product in the aspect of materials or workmanship, we will replace it free of charge. Pls contact us if you have a problem.
If a large fishing backpack is required, this Kawagarbo offering could be the solution. It’s priced well, weatherproof, and can store four tackle boxes in its lower compartment.
- Large storage capacity
- 1000D polyester construction
- Heavy-duty zippers
- Rain cover
- Removable main compartment divider
- Ergonomic design
- Scratch-resistant bottom
If you are wanting to migrate all your one solution, this Kawagarbo Fishing Backpack fits the bill nicely. It’s made for rugged use in various weather conditions and allows you to be more portable with your fishing gear.
The divider in the main compartment can be taken out to give you maximal space for larger objects and the padding on the straps and back work well.
- High-quality construction
- Large capacity
- Comfortable/ergonomic fit
- Storage options
- All-in-one solution
- Reasonably priced
- Two color options
- Might be too large for your particular needs
Why it’s recommended: Carrying all your tackle in one portable system could be a big ask. But, this Kawagarbo effort really ticks a lot of boxes in terms of capacity, functionality, and ergonomics so that you can take your equipment almost anywhere.
Wild River Nomad
- FISH ANYTIME: Integrated LED light system allows for fishing from dusk to dawn
- RETRACTING STEEL CABLE: Removable self-retracting steel cable lanyard for clippers, small tools, or keys
- BUILT IN WORK SURFACE: Front pocket cover folds down to provide a handy work surface
- COMFORTABLE: Large adjustable padded shoulder straps with added sternum strap for better comfort and fit
- CAMO PRINT: Printed to match other Mossy Oak accessories and clothing
Delving back into professional waters, with the exquisite Wild River Nomad by CLC. It’s one of the highest quality tackle bags around and really looks the part.
- Integrated LED system
- Fold-out workspace
- Retracting steel cable
- Protective rain cover
- Various storage options
- Adjustable/padded shoulder straps
- Custom LeatherCraft construction
- Mossy Oak coloring
- Stores up to three 3600 trays
Quality, functionality, and great looks are all part of this premium Wild River Nomad by CLC fishing backpack. It’s ergonomically designed to be worn comfortably over long periods.
Plus, it’s very well suited for night fishing because of the cleverly installed LED lighting system throughout. You can also choose between using 3600 or 3500 trays to suit your needs.
- Super durable and rugged design
- Tough base plates
- Ideal for nighttime fishing
- Stylish design
- Comfortable and durable
- Premium pricing
Why it’s recommended: Wild River is renowned for its fishing products and this backpack really does tick a lot of boxes. It’s especially useful if you enjoy nighttime fishing, but could work for multiple fishing applications just fine.
$38.14 in stock
- Comfortable over-the-shoulder sling backpack great for weekend fishing trips; includes 1 medium tackle box (holds up to 2)
- Storage includes spacious main compartment, two zippered pockets for additional storage, front organizer pocket, and sunglasses pocket
- Padded sling strap adjustable to left or right side
- Front tool holder with Velcro closure
If you’re looking for something more portable and you don’t want to lug around the entirety of your fishing gear, SpiderWire might have the solution with this 15-liter sling fishing backpack.
- Over the shoulder sling design
- Adjustable for left/right shoulder
- One medium-size tackle box included
- Two extra storage pockets
- Front organizer pocket
- Sunglasses pocket
- Main compartment
This is a lightweight, sturdy, and straightforward way to carry your fishing gear around with little hassle.
There’s a front tool holder in place that uses a velcro closure. Plus, there is the potential to actually hold two medium-sized tackle boxes, but you’ll have to buy the second one separately.
- Lifetime manufacturer’s warranty
- Sleek and portable design
- Easy to adjust for either shoulder
- Lightweight and portable
- Useful tool holder
- Multi-purpose sling bag
- Easy to swap out boxes
- Will not hold a telescopic fishing pole inside
Why it’s recommended: This is a sling bag that will work well for fishing but also for various other tasks if needed. It’s lightweight and portable and well-designed storage.
$29.99 in stock
1 used from $25.58
- Unique Fishing Gifts for men, women, dad, husband, kids who love fishing on birthday, fathers day or christmas!
- Large Size is More Suitable for Adults. While the standard is a more compact size to carry essentials for a fishing or hiking day trip.
- The fishing backpack is built with rod holders. One on the side and the other one is on the bottom
- 【Adjustable Multi-Use Bag】Designed for comfort and convenience, the fishing backpack is equipped with padded shoulder straps which can be easily changed from a backpack to a sling shoulder bag and vice versa. It could also be adjusted as a chest bag, handbag, fishing tackle bag, and travelling bag to satisfy your different needs for a fishing trip.
- 【Unique Design for Anglers】The size of 14.5” x 8.2” x 5.1” is big enough for you to keep daily fishing gears such as the lures, pliers, 3600 TACKLE BOX, wallet and phone without bulkiness. The front pockets are designed for you to easily get tools/lures out while fishing. The side pockets are good for water bottle, small tools, keys and fishing license.
The Ghosthorn Tackle Backpack is available in a variety of eight colors. This is also a fishing bag that has been specifically made with long-lasting comfort in mind.
- High-density nylon construction
- Various carry styles
- Durable and water-resistant
- Molle webs in place
- Two rod belts
- Central clip buckle
- Ability to carry 3600 tackle boxes
- 1-year manufacturer’s warranty
This is a smart-looking, super portable backpack that has a variety of innovative storage solutions for your fishing tackle and gear.
It can also store general belongings well and the central clip buckle is ideal for looping around a shirt or jacket.
It can handle wet weather and can even carry a couple of rods. The molle webs are great for holding tools that you want quick access too.
- Standard two shoulder strap carry
- Optional sling set-up
- Works as a chest bag/handbag
- Use as a travel bag/tackle bag
- Very resilient and tough build quality
- A multitude of storage options
- Compact and comfortable
- Great value for the money
- Smaller sizing means you might need to be a little more selective about equipment
Why it’s recommended: You’re getting a really smart and rugged fishing backpack deal with this Ghosthorn design. It has tonnes of unique storage capabilities that other similar priced backpacks don’t offer. Plus, it can be adapted for multiple purposes.
- STAY HYDRDATED – Includes a 2 Liter water bladder so you can stay hydrated.
- PLENTY OF STORAGE - Keep your fishing gear and equipment well-organized and quickly within reach.
- ADJUSTABLE SIZING – Adjustable shoulder and waist straps for the perfect fit.
- COMFORTABLE – Breathable mesh back allows for air to flow freely so you can stay cool and dry.
If fly fishing is your thing, this Anglatech Fly Fishing Backpack could be right up your street. It’s a unisex design and even has a water bladder so you can keep your hands free while rehydrating.
- Wide adjustment range
- 2-liter water bladder included
- Vest styling
- Easy access storage compartments
- Breathable mesh
- Multiple storage pockets
- Good pricing
This exceptional design gives you the larger storage space of a backpack, yet there’s also easy access to front pockets for fishing tackle that’s needed out in the water.
It fits sturdily and comfortably around the body and will adapt well to fit both men or women of varying sizes. There are two smart-looking color choices and this system should keep you cool and dry for a pleasant day of fly fishing.
- Effectively keeps equipment out of the water
- Holds its form well
- Multiple storage options
- Allows you to balance weight front/back
- Keeps your equipment high and dry
- Could be considered restrictive for some users
Why it’s recommended: This is obviously perfect for anyone that enjoys fly fishing but could do with some extra backpack storage, as well as having the traditional vest framework. It’s built well and fits snugly to a wide range of body types.
$390.00 in stock
- FUNCTIONAL DESIGN: Optimized fishing sling pack with space and features to help you make the most of every cast without weighing you down. Adjustable front panel with dedicated tippet, floatant storage and a magnetic docking station for tools. Plus compression straps to hold your rod for the approach and return hikes
- ERGONOMIC FIT - Full range of motion on the front; simply rotate to your chest and access all your accessories. Opens wide; all straps stay together with velcro to avoid interference while casting
- CAPACITY - Great to stuff everything you need! Including your fly boxes, water bottles, lunch, nets, tippets, camera equipment, indicators, sunglasses, nippers, clippers, forceps and scissors. Designed with dedicated easy long handle net storage
- COMFORTABLE - Choose how you want to carry your slip backpack. This ambidextrous backpack allows you to carry your gear on either the right or left shoulder
- WARRANTY - If your SIMMS product fails due to a defect in workmanship or materials, SIMMS will repair or replace your gear and get you back on the water as soon as possible. If your SIMMS product fails due to excessive wear, accidents and breakdown of materials over extended time, SIMMS will make every effort to repair your gear for a reasonable fee
Simms offers this Freestone Ambidextrous Tactical Fishing Sling Pack. It’s a water-resistant design that comes in either Gray or Tan colors.
- Lightweight/streamline design
- Magnetic docking for tools
- Floatant/tippet storage
- Ergonomic fit
- Ambidextrous sling
- Adjustable front panel
Easily, the most attractive aspect of this fishing backpack has to be the strong ergonomic design that allows you to have full motion for casting and other activities. As well, the dedicated storage aspects for fishing equipment are easily accessed and the magnetic tool docking is a useful feature.
- Very portable
- Quick access to tools/tackle
- Doesn’t hinder maneuverability
- Dedicated storage compartments
- Keeps your equipment dry
- Can be worn on both shoulders
- An external water bottle pocket could be an improvement
Why it’s recommended: Simms give you this super portable fishing backpack that lets you retain free motion of your arms so you can cast with no restriction.
- LARGE STORAGE SPACE: Large storage area with removable divider, converts backpack for storage of larger items.Four zippered side pockets and two mesh pouches provide additional storage for small or dirty items.
- ENOUGH ORGANIZED COMPARTMENTS: A removable divider integrates the upper and lower compartments as a larger one for storage of bigger items or more tackle boxes.
- COMFORTABLE: Adjustable padded shoulder straps for better comfort and fit. Padded mesh back panels for superior breathability.
- WATER-RESISTANT POCKET: Clear zippered interior pocket under the lid keeps your licenses and other valuables visible and secure.
- ANTI-SCRATCH BOTTOM: Rugged base pads protect the backpack from being scratched on rocky ground.
Lastly, we have this large capacity Lixada Fishing Tackle Backpack, which allows you to store up to four trays and has a removable clapboard in the main compartment.
- Protective rain cover
- Dual zippers
- Reflective safety stickers
- Clear compartment for fishing licenses
- Breathable mesh panels
- Multiple applications
- Separate waterproof pocket
The Lixada is great for all types of fishing, whether you’re by the pier, the lake, on the beach, or boating downriver.
It has several compartments specifically designed for storing fishing tackle, yet you can easily store a variety of personal belongings, keep them dry.
It’s also a tough, durable, and comfortable design with safety features built-in for nighttime use.
- Large storage capacity
- Tough construction
- Comfortable and breathable padding
- Waterproof sealable pocket for valuables
- Works for a variety of fishing applications
- There is no sternum strap for extra support
Why it’s recommended: The Lixada is reasonably priced and comes with some nice design features. It’s comfortable, breathable, and has a streamlined profile, which is good for maneuverability.
So now we’ve run through all of our best fishing backpacks. We tried to focus heavily on value for money, but we also looked at a wide spectrum of backpacks, from budget choices through to premium options. This way, you can get a general idea of what to expect at different prices.
Overall, we think the Wild River backpacks are extremely applicable to a variety of fishing styles. They offer excellent build-quality, specialist compartments for fishing gear and they’re comfortable to wear over long periods. However, they are priced on the premium end of the spectrum.
Impressively, there are some incredible deals to be had for fishing backpacks under $100. We especially like what SpiderWire has to offer. But several other choices shone through for particular needs such as the Anglatech Fly Fishing Backpack.
Armed with this knowledge and expert reviews we have no doubt finding the best option will be easy!
Check out our detailed reviews of what we consider essential items for your fishing backpack:
- Trout baits
- Smallmouth Bass lures
- Walleye lures
- Pike lures
- Fishing line – monofilament
- Catfish hooks
Best Fishing Backpacks
Here are the ratings of the 12 best fishing backpacks on the market.
- Wild River
- Wild River Large
- Plano E-Series 3600
- Wild River Nomad
- SpiderWire Sling
- Simms Freestone