A firearm is an investment. Even the most barebones .22 long rifle or small handgun costs a few hundred dollars, so it stands to reason that you want to take good care of it.
Smokeless powder is one of the most corrosive materials in the world, and every time you fire your gun, it coats the chamber and the inside of the barrel, leaving your investment vulnerable to rust. That’s why it’s so important to use the best gun cleaning kit possible to protect your investment.
Not only will a good cleaning kit prevent corrosion due to powder residue, it should also include oil for protecting the outside of your gun from skin oil, which can also cause corrosion. Your ultimate goal should be to store your firearm in “like new” condition.
We’ve found the best gun cleaning kits online. Whether you have a pistol, a shotgun, a rifle, or several firearms, we’ve got you covered.
Best Gun Cleaning Kits
- Zippered Compact Padded Case: Keeps everything neatly organized; Holds all the necessary cleaning tools; Case sized: 6.5" x 3.6 "; 16 Pieces handgun gun maintenance system in a high performance zippered organized pouch bag
- Gun Cleaning Supplies Includes: .22Cal., .357Cal./.38Cal./9MM, .40Cal., and .45Cal. phosphor bronze bore brushes and brass jags, large and small bronze slotted tips, and 100 pcs gun cleaning patches, nylon brush and metal gun cleaning pick(This gun cleaning kit does not include any solvent or oil, .357 and 9mm are essentially the same size. )
- Quality 10.5" Handgun Cleaning Rod: 2 Piece brass cleaning rods thread together to form a 10.5" rod
- Stainless Steel Cleaning Pick: Stainless steel picks helps to clean stubborn areas on your firearm
- Life Time & Money Back Guarantee: The cleaning rod, jag and slotted tips are all made of durable sturdy bronze brass which are guaranteed a life time.
BOOSTEADY Universal is a high-quality kit that comes at a reasonable price.
- 16-piece kit
- Includes carrying case
The BOOSTEADY is a 16-piece kit with brushes and jags for .22 caliber, .357/.38/9mm, .40 caliber, and .45 caliber. The brushes are high-quality phosphor bronze, and the jags are made of brass. The kit also includes 2 bronze slotted tips, a nylon brush, 100 cleaning patches, and a stainless steel pick for removing stubborn buildup.
The 10 ½-inch cleaning rod separates into two pieces in order to fit into the compact nylon travel case. The case makes it easy to throw this kit into your range bag without the pieces ending up all over the place. BOOSTEADY offers a lifetime manufacturer’s warranty on parts and workmanship.
The only thing we didn’t like about this kit was the .357/.38/9mm brush and jag. They work well enough for the first two calibers, but they’re oversized for 9mm. The brush needs to be forced, and the jag won’t fit at all.
- Cleans most common handgun calibers
- Quality bronze brushes
- Lifetime manufacturer’s warranty
- No 9mm brush or jag
This is the best pistol cleaning kit on the market as long as you don’t have a 9mm.
2. Allen Company
$20.85 in stock
1 used from $18.69
- Components for . 380 ACP, . 357 Magnum, . 38 Special, 9mm, 10mm, . 40 caliber, . 44 Magnum, and . 45 ACP
- Includes Cleaning Rod, Jags, Slotted Tip/Adapter, Bore Brushes, Bore Swabs, and Muzzle Guard
- 15 Cleaning Pieces Plus 20 Cotton Cleaning Patches
- Comes in a Sturdy Tool Kit with Organization Slots
- Removable Tray Allows You to Store Small Accessories Underneath
The Ruger universal is ideal for cleaning any high-powered handgun.
- 13-piece kit
The Ruger Universal Handgun Cleaning Kit contains 13 pieces. To begin with, there are bronze brushes, swabs, and jags for .380 ACP, .357 magnum, .38 special, 9mm, 10mm, .40 caliber, .44 caliber, and .45 caliber. While some of the parts are a bit loose, they all fit well enough to do the job.
We were encouraged to find a kit that works for 9mm, but it’s surprising that Ruger didn’t include hardware for cleaning a .22 caliber. Granted, .22 handguns aren’t as popular as they used to be, but the .22 is what put Ruger on the map, so we’d expected them to have accessories for it.
Filling out the rest of the kit, you’ll find a 2-foot cleaning rod, which makes it compatible with shorter rifles. You’ll also find a slotted brass tool for running cleaning patches and 20 patches. This isn’t an expensive kit, but we would have liked to see more than 20. If you decide to go with this kit, buy an extra box of patches.
- Cleans most high-powered handguns
- High-quality hardware
- No brush or jag for .22 caliber
If you have a 9mm or larger pistol, the Ruger Universal Handgun Cleaning Kit is an excellent choice.
$17.99 in stock
- .223 / 5.56 cleaning kit; All variances in barrel weight, length, and caliber, as well as gas or piston operating systems
- ZIPPERED COMPACT CASE: Keeps everything neatly organized; Allowing to you remedy any jams without needing to dig through equipment to find your cleaning kit
- KIT INCLUDES: .223 cal Brass Brush, .223 cal Chamber Brush, Double End Mini Nylon Brush, Patch Holder, Rods,Clean Patches, Nylon Coated Flex Cable,Metal Cleaning Picks
- QUALITY BUILT: The cleaning rod and gleaning pick are made of metal; The brush has a threaded end that screws into the rod to secure it
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: Life time & money back guarantee. Good value durable high quality
The BOOSTEADY Pro .223/5.56 packs up easily into a convenient carrying case.
- 14-piece kit
- Includes carrying case
The BOOSTEADY Pro .223/5.56 is designed specifically for cleaning AR-style rifles. As a result, the cleaning rod is only 16 inches long, so it’s ill-suited for cleaning standard length rifles, even if the calibers are right. However, it’s ideal for ARs.
This kit includes bronze barrel brushes and chamber brushes for both calibers, as well as a slotted brass tip for cleaning patches. In addition, you’ll find a double-ended stainless steel pick for removing impacted debris, and a double-ended nylon brush for lighter-duty cleaning. Rounding out the kit is a stack of 50 cleaning patches, and foam-padded nylon carrying case.
The brass cleaning rod breaks down into four sections for easy carrying, and there’s a webbed pocket in the case to keep your cleaning patches contained. BOOSTEADY offers a lifetime warranty on this kit, so you can buy it with confidence.
- High-quality brass brushes
- Lifetime manufacturer’s warranty
- Only long enough for a 16-inch barrel
This is a well-engineered gun cleaning kit for AR-style rifles.
$15.99 in stock
- Zippered Compact Padded Case: The weather proof, zippered, nylon case is extremely portable and is great for use in the field or at the range;Holds all the necessary cleaning things; Case sized: 6.5" x 3.6"
- Shotgun Brass Cleaning Rod: 5 gun cleaning rod with swivel tip connects to a t-handle and reaches 31 inches
- Gun Cleaning Supplies Includes: 12 & 20 Gauge shotgun mop and brush, 1 large brass slotted tip, and 50 shotgun cleaning patches
- Mesh Storage for Additional Small Supplies: Add a small bottle of your favorite oil, solvent, or CLP to this kit to have everything that you need to clean your shotgun
- Great Kit for Any Shotgun Owner: This is the perfect kit for any trap shooter or hunter who wants a portable solution; 13 Pieces shotgun maintenance system in a high performance zippered organized pouch bag
The BOOSTEADY Compact is an excellent choice for 12 or 20 gauge shotguns.
- 12-piece kit
- Includes carrying case
The BOOSTEADY is a 12-piece cleaning kit that comes with a sturdy nylon carrying case. It’s designed for cleaning 12 and 20 gauge shotguns and includes bronze brushes and cotton mops in both bore sizes. A slotted brass cleaning patch tip, an adapter for aftermarket brushes, 40 cleaning patches, and a 5-piece cleaning rod round out the kit.
The case measures 6.5 x 3.6 inches, small enough to fit in a small coat pocket. The only thing that didn’t satisfy us was the cleaning rod, which has a lot of flex to it. It just doesn’t feel sturdy. On the other hand, this kit is very inexpensive and comes with BOOSTEADY’s lifetime warranty on parts and workmanship. Worst case scenario, you can always get a free replacement.
- Cleans both 12 and 20 gauge shotguns
- Lifetime manufacturer’s warranty
- Flimsy cleaning rod
This is a well-designed gun cleaning kit that can go wherever you want to take it.
- Suitable for Caliber: The cleaning kit multifuntion tools suitable for 12 gauge.
- The shotgun Cleaning Kit including: 1 aluminium handle, 1 bronze brush, 1 cotton mop, 1 spring brush, 1 utility brush, 1 patch holder, 1 muzzle guard, 1 box of patches, 1 adapter, 4 stainless steel rods.
- Multiple Combinations of Recycling: A variety of tools can be combined,and the kit can be recycled multiple times.
- Easy to Carry:The whole set of tools is compact and small , easy to carry around.
- Multiple Models Available:In addition to the above caliber kit, we also have 9mm/357/.38 cal,.22 cal,.40/41 cal and .44/45 cal cleaning kit and .177cal cleaning kit can choose,If you have any issue with the kit, do not hesitate to contact us - your satisfaction is paramount!
The SPIKA will get your 12 gauge clean, no matter how foul it is.
- 13-piece kit
- Includes muzzle guard
The SPIKA is designed specifically for 12 gauges. The bad news? 16 and 20 gauge shooters will need to look elsewhere. The good news? They’re able to pack more into this package to help you get even the worst grime out.
Not only does this kit have a bronze bristle brush, but it has a heavy-duty steel spiral brush for severe fouling and a cotton mop for removing any cleaning solution or small debris that’s left after you’re done cleaning. The stainless steel cleaning rod is sturdy, and the brass slotted tip holds the included cleaning patches perfectly.
SPIKA rounds out their kit with a nylon brush and a muzzle guard. This last piece is a nice addition to any cleaning kit but is particularly important for shotguns, which typically have thinner barrels than rifles. Be careful of the advertising; the oil bottle ships empty.
- Quality engineering
- Multiple brushes for multiple purposes
- Oil bottle ships empty
- Only suitable for 12 gauge
This is an excellent gun cleaning kit for cleaning any 12 gauge shotgun.
6. Hoppe’s No. 9 BoreSnake
Hoppe's No. 9 BoreSnake
- include everything you need to clean your firearms
- Light and portable
- End has brass weight to drop through bore
- 100% designed and tested for the toughest situations and environments
- Take this complete, super compact BoreSnake Gun Cleaning Kit anywhere
Hoppe’s BoreSnake will clean your shotgun in seconds and can be carried anywhere with ease.
- Includes cleaning solution and gun oil
- Comes in a nylon carrying case
Hoppe’s BoreSnake isn’t a traditional cleaning kit. There are no brushes and no cleaning rod. Instead, the BoreSnake is a long, reusable swab that’s thin on one end, and gradually widens to be as wide as the barrel.
Attached to the narrow end of the BoreSnake is a long nylon cord, with a brass weight on one end. First, you soak the BoreSnake with the (included) cleaning solution, drop the weight down the barrel, and pull the entire snake out through the chamber. Follow up by applying the (included) gun oil to the snake, and repeat the process. That’s it. Your shotgun is clean.
This kit comes in a small nylon pouch that has a loop on the back to easily attach it to your belt. It’s only sized for 12 gauge, although other versions are available. While the BoreSnake does an excellent job of cleaning the barrel, you’ll still want to pick up a nylon brush or some cleaning pads to clean your chamber and moving parts.
- Easier to use than traditional cleaning kits
- Small size can be carried anywhere
- No accessories for cleaning chamber or moving parts
- Only sized for 12 gauge
The BoreSnake is by far the fastest, easiest way to clean your shotgun.
7. Hoppe’s No. 9 Deluxe
Hoppe's No. 9 Deluxe
$38.00 in stock
- Made for universal cleaning
- Lubricating oil
- 3-Piece brass rod
- 4 slotted ends
- Silicone cleaning cloth
Hoppe’s No. 9 Deluxe is a high quality cleaning kit that comes in a gorgeous wooden storage box.
- 20-piece kit
- Includes a wooden storage box
Hoppe’s No. 9 Deluxe Gun Cleaning Kit is a 20-piece kit that allows you to clean rifles, pistols and shotguns with equal ease. It includes four high-quality phosphor bronze brushes: a .22 caliber (also works for .223), a .30 caliber (works for .308, .300 Win. Mag., .30-06, 6.5 Creedmoor and similar calibers), a .38 caliber, and 12 and 20 gauge shotgun brushes.
There are four matching slotted nylon cleaning patch holders and a segmented cleaning rod.
Rounding out the kit are a silicone cleaning cloth, an instruction book, gun oil, and a cleaning solution. All of this comes in a beautiful wooden case that will look right at home on any shelf. There are no .45 or 9mm brushes, so you’ll need to buy those on the side if you have handguns in those calibers. You’ll also need to provide your own cleaning patches.
- Cleans most popular calibers and bore sizes
- Phosphor bronze brushes
- Beautiful wooden box
- No 9mm or .45 caliber brushes
- No cleaning patches
This is a solid gun cleaning kit for just about anything but a .45 caliber or 9mm.
- KEEP YOUR GUNS IN TOP SHAPE - No matter what type of gun you own, our cleaning kit will help you take care of it. From handguns to rifles to airguns, our universal kit has everything you need
- COMPACT TACKLE BOX - the tools come in a box that is designed to be compact and easily portable. It fits snugly in any bag, so you can take it with you to the range or hunting. Plus, the case marks make it easy to organize your tools
- STRONG RODS - Expandable rods (from 9'' to 32'') are not only strong but they're also flexible enough to handle all type of handguns, rifles, airguns and shotguns without breaking
- SCRATCH-FREE ACCESSORIES - Our brass accessories are designed to never scratch your barrel. We offer a 1 year no question asked money back policy. You can't go wrong with this Gun Cleaning Kit by Falko Tactical
- USA BASED SMALL BUSINESS - We're a family owned business based in the heart of America. We take pride on our products and have a customer support team ready to reply to any question
The Falko will clean virtually any caliber firearm on the market.
- 31-piece kit
- Molded plastic storage case
The Falko is a 31-piece kit that’s designed to clean a wide variety of calibers. Compatible firearms include: .17 caliber, .22/.223 caliber, .270/7mm, all .30 caliber variants, .38 caliber, 9mm, .40 caliber, .45 caliber and 10mm, as well as .410, 12 and 20 gauge shotguns.
In addition to brushes, you’ll find cotton mops, slotted brass cleaning patch holders, jags, 50 cleaning patches, and two different cleaning rods. This kit ships in a molded plastic storage case. While it doesn’t come with oil or cleaning solutions, there are slots in the case that are sized specifically for Falko bottles.
All in all, this is a well-made kit that will clean more or less any gun imaginable. It’s affordably priced, but the cleaning rods are a bit flimsy. We’d like to see them a bit sturdier, but that’s a minor complaint for a kit this versatile.
- Cleans virtually all calibers and bore sizes
- Flimsy cleaning rods
This gun cleaning kit is a great choice if you have lots of guns in several calibers.
9. Allen Company
$63.34 in stock
- Professional grade gun cleaning kit, stored in a toolbox for portability, storage, and comes with high-grade components
- Standard 3-piece design brass cleaning rods in 4mm & 6mm diameters. Muzzle guards for 4mm & 6mm
- Shotgun bronze bore brushes & cotton swabs are all standard 5/16-27 thread for 12, 20, & .410 bores/gauges
- Rifle & Pistol bronze brushes for .17, .22, .243, .270, .30, .35, .338, .375, .40, .44, .45, .50, & .54 cal.
- Rifle & Pistol cotton swabs are all standard 8-32 thread for .357, 9mm, .30, & .270 cal.
The Allen Company is one of the most versatile kits on the market.
- 65-piece kit
- Includes storage toolbox
The Allen Company is a 65-piece kit that will clean a truly dizzying number of calibers. We’re not going to list them all out, but suffice it to say that it cleans 12 gauge, 20 gauge, and .410 shotguns, along with just about every rifle and pistol caliber from .17 all the way up to .54 caliber. Each size has a bronze brush, a cotton mop, and a brass jag.
Inside, you’ll also find two cleaning rods with muzzle guards, 4-inch cotton swabs, a silicon cleaning wipe, rifle and shotgun cleaning patches, a nylon brush, a brass brush, and a stainless steel pick.
One thing you won’t see, but which shows up in the advertising, are cleaning solutions and gun oil. We wouldn’t mind this, considering the reasonable price, but it’s not cool that the manufacturer put those products in their promotional pictures. That said, there’s plenty of room in the box to store whatever chemicals you need.
- Cleans all common calibers and most uncommon ones
- Plenty of storage in the box
- Deceptive advertising
This gun cleaning kit cleans everything from a .17 caliber up to a .54 caliber.
$35.09 in stock
- All-in-one: Universal cleaning accessory kit for used for all types of shotguns, rifles and pistol cleaning. All you need to clean common caliber guns in a compact case. Our case is designed to keep the pieces in their place, we also included 2 spaces to put you cleaning oil and solvent.
- No Cheap Plastic: All our slotted tips and cleaning jags are made of high quality nylon plastic. Sets from other brands use cheap plastic tips that can easily break after two uses. With this set you will not experience the frustration of having a broken jag/tip inside your gun barrel.
- Helpful & Portable: Keep your guns performing at their best by utilizing this cleaning/maintenance kit. Everything is kept neat and organized in the lightweight durable plastic carrying case.
- Package:3 solid brass rods for 17-270 caliber rifles; 3 solid brass rods for 30 caliber rifles, pistols, shotguns and muzzleloaders; In addition the Universal Gun Cleaning Kit also has 14 brushes; 9 mops; 12 spear-pointed jags; 1 black powder jag; 4 slotted patch loops; 3 utility brushes; 3 muzzle guards; 3 accessory adapters; 50 3×3" cleaning patches and 4 polishing clothes.
- Some of the accessories are consumable, so we prepare multiple accessories in our California warehouse. If you have any problems while using, please contact us, we'll be glad to help you.
The GLORYFIRE will clean everything from a Revolutionary War musket to a BB gun.
- 64-piece kit
- Molded storage case
The GLORYFIRE is the best universal kit you’ll find without breaking the bank. It cleans everything from a .17 caliber up to a .54 caliber, and anything in between. It includes bronze bore brushes, cotton mops, and nylon jags in all of these sizes.
It also includes 3 slotted nylon cleaning patch tips, 50 3 x 3-inch patches, and brushes with nylon, brass, and stainless steel bristles. There are two cleaning rods and adapters for switching tips between the two. Throw in two (empty) bottles for cleaning solution and oil, and a molded carrying case, and you’ve got one heck of a kit.
Two things we didn’t like: the nylon jags are flimsy, and would be better in brass. The case is also poorly molded and doesn’t hold anything in place. That said, all parts are made in the USA, and GLORYFIRE offers a 3-year warranty on all parts.
- Cleans any gun imaginable
- Made in the USA
- Reasonably priced
- 3-year manufacturer’s warranty
- Poorly molded storage case
- Nylon jags are flimsy
This kit has everything you could ever want in a gun cleaning kit, at a reasonable price.
11. Otis Elite
$129.04 in stock
1 used from $108.24
- 16 firearm specific bronze bore brushes with size marked on brush stem (.17, .22 limited breech, .22/.223, .243-.260, .270/7mm, .30-06/.300/30-30/.308, .338-.35, .357-38cal/9mm, .40/10mm, .44/.45, .50cal, .410ga, 28ga, 20ga, 16ga, 12/10ga)
- Small & large obstruction removers knock out mud, snow, stuck casings and double as a t-handle base for included t-handle; small t-handle & stud included for small caliber cleaning
- Lens tissue, lens spray, lens brush and lens cloth for optics care Complete Tactical cleaning kit in compact soft pack cases included with 6 brushes, 3 cables, 2â€ & 3â€ patches, 0.5 fl.oz. Bio-CLP, chamber flag
The Otis Elite is the most versatile on the market and very high quality.
- 75-piece kit
- Includes nylon storage bag
The Otis Elite is a 75-piece monster of a cleaning kit that will clean literally any gun ever made. It includes bronze brushes in a wide variety of calibers and bores, including uncommon sizes like 7mm, 28 gauge, and 16 gauge. It comes in a nylon storage bag that’s easy to organize. Each part has its own clear plastic sleeve, and a strap to hold it in place.
In addition to cleaning swabs, jags, slotted tips, patches, lube, and a nylon cleaning brush, the Elite also comes with a punch for disassembling an AR, a lug scraper, obstruction removers for clearing squib loads, specialized muzzleloader cleaning tools, and optics cleaning wipes.
The only thing we didn’t like about this kit is the fact that it uses cables instead of cleaning rods. While it’s very expensive, you definitely get what you pay for. All the parts are of the highest quality and are made in the USA.
- Cleans almost any firearm
- Includes specialized parts for cleaning ARs and muzzleloaders
- High-quality parts
- Made in the USA
- Uses cables instead of cleaning rods
This is the highest-quality universal gun cleaning kit available. If you want the best, here it is.
When choosing a kit, there are a couple of things to keep in mind. First, make sure it’s suited for your caliber and type of firearm. Some “universal” kits have limitations that prevent them from working on certain guns, so it’s always important to double-check.
Second, make sure you’re not buying too much. A universal gun cleaning kit is a great value if you have several guns, but it’s a waste of money if you own three 9mm pistols. In that situation, it makes more sense to buy a dedicated pistol cleaning kit, some gun oil and put your leftover money into extra cleaning solutions and patches.
Whether you’re looking for the best rifle cleaning kit, the best handgun cleaning kit, the best shotgun cleaning kit, or even if you need the best universal gun cleaning kit to maintain a collection of firearms, we believe that at least one of these kits is going to suit your needs. Head over to the OutdoorWorld Reviews homepage for more expert advice and information!
Best Gun Cleaning Kit
Before heading out to purchase, make sure you read through our reviews of the best gun cleaning kits available today.
Hoppe's No. 9 BoreSnake
Hoppe's No. 9 Deluxe
Universal Gun Cleaning Kit
The Otis Elite
Best Gun Cleaning Kit DEALS
We collect information from many stores for best price available