The ability to create fire is one of mankind’s greatest achievements. Cooked food provides more nutrients than uncooked food, and many scientists believe that it’s this unique ability that enabled our ancestors to grow bigger, more powerful brains than the other great apes.
Thanks to those same big brains, we no longer have to rub a pair of sticks together just to start a fire. As a matter of fact, with a modern waterproof lighter, you can start a fire under just about any conditions. But with so many options available, how do you know what the best survival lighter is?
To help you find the best camping lighter, we’ve searched far and wide. In the end, we came up with fifteen options that we think are the most reliable on the market, whether you’re looking for a windproof lighter or an emergency tinder kit. Now let’s take a look at the best stormproof lighters!
11 Best Survival Lighters
Q&G Dual Arc
- The internal lithium-ion battery eliminates the need for liquid fuel, and it can be easily recharged via any USB port using the included cord. It can also be used at all altitudes without requiring oxygen intake adjustment;
- Buoyant, waterproof wilderness lighter with O-ring sealed cover and locking clasp; durable, impact resistant ABS Zinc alloy case ,Windproof flame can withstand winds up to 80 mph (129 km/H);
- Featuring an impact resistant ABS Zinc alloy design, the top clips securely closed to keep out water and the elements. the lighter offers easy push-button operation for quick fire starting in any conditions;
- Easy starting with simple push button operation, it has a convenient blue indicator that lights when in use and a 10-second time-out safety feature;
- The waterproof electric lighter ignition sparks a flame even in wet conditions.Compact lighter is nicely pocketable, great for backpacking, hunting, and hiking;
The Q&G Dual Arc Lighter recharges via USB, a unique and quirky feature on any lighter.
- Electric lighter
- ABS and zinc alloy construction
- Large closing clasp
- Rechargeable USB battery
- Weighs 1.8 ounces
- Available in 8 colors
The Q&G Dual Arc Lighter is a perfect choice for backpacking, hiking, or hunting. It uses an internal lithium-ion battery instead of liquid fuel, which means you don’t need to worry about refilling, or about your fuel drying out while your lighter is in storage. The battery recharges via USB, which makes it easy to recharge just about anywhere, including anywhere you can charge your cell phone.
This lighter is operated with a simple push-button, which eliminates the need for wheels or other more complex controls. It also features a blue LED light, which indicates when the power is turned on or off.
The Dual Arc Lighter is a great choice for kayaking, canoeing, or any activity that involves going out in wet conditions. The outer housing is constructed from a corrosion-resistant zinc alloy, while an O-ring seal protects the inner elements from flooding or fog. And even when exposed, the element remains hot enough to light dry tinder even in 80-degree winds, so you can use this lighter under any conditions.
- Waterproof and windproof
- USB rechargeable
- Small heat source
This rechargeable lighter is a solid choice if you don’t want to deal with fuel.
Texas Bushcraft Fire Starter
- SURVIVE AND THRIVE in an emergency with this weather-resistant ferro rod fire starter in your survival kit. Unlike matches that can become wet or blown-out in wind, our fire steel is impervious to the elements.
- 5000 F DEGREES SPARKS are hot enough to ignite a variety of tinder including plant fuzz, goldenrod fluff, and cattail seed or milkweed down. Stay warm and keep the wolves at-bay with this foolproof fire steel.
- 15,000+ STRIKES from the Texas Bushcraft Fire Starter make it an essential part of your camping accessories. The included striker tool attached on the lanyard ensures that you’re always prepared for the unexpected.
- INCLUDED SURVIVAL TOOL features a bottle opener, hex wrench, micro ruler, map scale and sharp spine scraper. It is affixed to the ferro rod by the 48” braided paracord lanyard for quick easy retrieval and use.
- COMPACT AND PORTABLE so it fits in your pocket, backpack or auto glove box, the Texas Bushcraft flint steel also boasts a sturdy and comfortable hardwood handle that delivers optimal grip and control during use.
For the outdoorsy bunch, the Texas Bushcraft Fire Starter is designed with adverse weather in mind.
- Emergency Whistle Cord End
- 5000F Degree Sparks
- 15,000+ strikes
This lighter contains 5000 F degree sparks, which are hot enough to ignite several types of tinder. It is a versatile lighter with more than 15,000 strikes, includes a bottle opener, hex wrench, micro ruler, map scale, and a sharp spine scraper.
You’ll always be ready for the unexpected, thanks to the striker tool that comes with it and is tied to the lanyard. It is fitted to the Ferro rod by a 48″ braided paracord lanyard for quick and simple retrieval and use.
- Compact and Portable
- Great grip
- Easy retrieval
- Some users felt it is hard to spark
Unlike matches, which can get wet or be blown out by the wind, the fire steel is weatherproof, making it a better choice for starting a fire outside. With this foolproof fire steel, you can stay warm and keep the wild animals at bay.
Tough Tesla Lighter 2.0
$29.97 in stock
- RECHARGEABLE: Ignite a fire with the push of a button using your new favorite lighter. No batteries needed! Use the included cable to charge your lighter anywhere with the built in USB charging port. Charging time is about 2 hours.
- SURVIVAL LIGHTER: Also includes flashlight with 3 settings, para-tinder lanyard for lighting fires quickly & an emergency whistle. This small and water-proof lighter is your best choice when you go hiking, travelling, survival tactical, a camp or backyard cookout.
- WEATHERPROOF: You can always use our Waterproof Lighter with no fear of rain and storm. It works effortlessly in rainy or windy conditions. Electric lighter needs no butane or adjustments for altitude. Made of Zinc Alloy with high-quality ABS plastic case and wire safety latch.
- EASY TO USE: Light a fire in wind or rain just touch the top-facing dual arcs to anything flammable and you'll have instant fire. Can be used 300 times per charge, with 10 second safety time-out. Battery capacity - 220 mAh, rated voltage - 3.7V, weighs - 2.1 oz.
- PREPARING MADE EASY: Survival Frog has over 10 years of experience in the industry and is one of the largest and most trusted sources for survival and preparedness products online. We believe it is everyone's responsibility to prepare for potential threats with at least a 72-hour supply of the essentials.
The is electric and rechargeable—ideal for the frugal eco-lovers and perfect for backyard barbecues, camping, and survival.
- Waterproof and windproof
Ignited by just a touch of a button, the Tough Tesla Lighter 2.0 comes with a built-in USB charging port. It is packaged with a cable to charge your lighter anywhere, even on the go, in just 2 hours.
Having a 10-second safety time-out, it can be used 300 times on a single charge. Along with a three-setting flashlight, it also has an emergency whistle and a para-tinder lanyard for starting fires quickly. It is an easy-to-use lighter; you simply touch anything flammable to the top-facing dual arc.
- Easy to use
- Has a 6-month “Any Reason” Refund Guarantee
- Designed for U.S. electric outlets
Made using plastic and metal, it is an all-weather must-have, working wonderfully in rainy or windy conditions.
Plasma Electric Lighter
- ❤️IP56 Waterproof: With metal-ring sealed cover and locking clasp, water does not seep inside, no fear of rain. A cool stuff lighter that outdoor enthusiasts must have, can be used as a fire starter, tactical gear, survival tools or kits, etc.
- ❤️Rechargeable Lighter: It can be charged by laptop, power bank, car or other power with the included Micro USB cable, about 2 hours full charged, no gas required, economic, clean and convenient. There are obvious current voice when using.
- ❤️Survival Lanyard: A paracord lanyard with an emergency whistle is designed for if there is an unexpected survival situation. The lanyard can be used as a pyrophore to quickly ignite a fire, field (outdoor) strapping equipment, knife hilts, etc.
- ❤️Portable: This arc lighter with a lanyard, lightweight and small, you can hang it on your neck or put in your pocket, easy to carry. High-quality ABS and Zinc Alloy material, durable.
- ❤️After-sale Service: 60 day guarantee, if you aren't love your lighter or any questions, please free to contact us, we are ready to help, we will provide a perfect solution.
Outdoor enthusiasts must own this outstanding multi-purpose lighter that works as a fire starter, camping accessory, survival tool, and lighting barbeques.
- Emergency whistle
It can conveniently be charged by a laptop, power bank, car or other power source with the included USB cable, which takes up to 2 hours to charge fully. It is perfect for any weather because it has a metal-ring sealed waterproof lighter cover and locking clasp.
For an unexpected survival situation, it is designed with a paracord lanyard with an emergency whistle. The lanyard can also be used as a pyrophoric to start a fire rapidly and for other things like knife hilts and field (outdoor) strapping.
- Holds charge
- Not compatible with all outlets
It is lightweight and small, and easy to carry. Made with high-quality ABS and Zinc Alloy material, this lighter is durable.
UCO Stormproof Match Kit
- Includes 25 windproof and waterproof matches, 3 strikers and match case that can hold up to 40 matches
- Matches are easy to light, will burn up to 15 seconds each and will relight after being submerged in water
- Waterproof, durable ABS plastic case floats and keeps contents dry and protected; external, integrated, and replaceable striker for easy lighting
- Extended length of match allows for added safety to keep from burning fingertips
- Length of matches: 2.75 inches (7 cm); Kit weight: 1.7 oz. (48 g)
Unless you’re going back to the 1950s, we’ve gradually stopped using matchsticks—the UCO Stormproof brings you closer to using the real thing but is more reliable.
- Wind and waterproof matches
- Replaceable stickers
- Durable case
- No-slip grip
An O-ring on the UCO Stormproof case creates a waterproof seal that protects the matches and strikers from moisture. If the matches become wet, dry them off before lighting them, and strike on a dry striker to start the fire. The UCO Stormproof Match Kit comes with three easily replaceable strikers. In harsh weather, the case is ribbed for grip and floats.
- Floating case
- Waterproof matches
- Matches burn for up to 15 seconds
- Cannot be used for long
Even in the highest winds, UCO Stormproof Matches will ignite and burn for up to 15 seconds.
$8.99 in stock
- 【Certified Safe】Note: To protect our earth, we have stopped printing oil-based brand logo. Thanks for your understanding in advance. RONXS's leading tech and multi-protect safety system ensure complete protection for you and your lighter. Ronxs latest package is made of recycled paper. The kraft brown paper box can be a great gift box.
- 【LED Battery Display & Larger Capacity Lighter】This is the upgraded arc lighter which can display real-time battery volume. When 5 LED lights on the barrel turn on, it is fully charged. USB lighter can provide over 700 uses on a full charge.
- 【Longer Flexible Neck & Lightweight】Our electric long matches for candles has a flexible neck (10cm or about 4 inches). It can easily rotate 360 degrees for different lighting needs. Lightweight size is suitable for daily indoor and outdoor use.
- 【Wind & Splash Proof】The wind and splash-proof design will protect the electric pulse from being blown out by strong wind or wet weather. RONXS lighter is a perfect tool for lighting under bad weather.No flame, no butane, no hassle. Compared with other lighters, the RONXS candle lighter will make less noise.
- 【What You Get】RONXS rechargeable matches, USB charging cable, a gift box, a user manual and 24h friendly services.
Where lighter meets style, the Ronxs Electric lighter is made by a brand conscious of its impact on the planet.
- LED Battery Display & Larger Capacity Lighter
- Longer Flexible Neck & Lightweight
- Wind & Splash Proof
This device is fitted with an updated arc lighter to show the battery volume in real-time. It’s fully charged when all five LED lights on the barrel illuminate. On a full charge, a USB lighter has around 600 uses.
This lighter has a long, flexible neck, which is 4 inches long and can rotate 360 degrees, making it the perfect tool for lighting stoves and candles. It can be used both indoors and outdoors. And its wind and splash-proof design protect the electric pulse from being blown out by strong wind or wet weather.
- Quieter compared to other lighters
- High maintenance
RONXS’s is certified safe, using leading tech and a multi-protect safety system to ensure complete protection for you and your lighter.
- Child-resistant, Safe and reliable, 100% Quality Inspected
- Up to 2 times the lights vs. the next full size leading brand
- Every BIC lighter undergoes more than 50 separate, automatic quality checks during the manufacturing process
- Assortment of fashion colors will vary
- No lighter is child-proof. There is no substitute for proper adult supervision. Read all warnings before using this product. Flick it Safely.
This item is a collection of 10 vintage BIC lighters in different trendy hues. And with new special edition series coming out every year, you’ll find your favorite to match.
- Fashion assorted colors
BIC lighters are child-resistant. It can’t be opened, tampered with, or damaged by a child—keeping them safe.
BIC guarantees its users quality by having over 50 automated quality checks performed on each lighter during manufacturing. On top of that, all BIC lighters comply with or exceed the lighter safety requirements set by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, the American Society for Testing and Materials, and other governmental organizations.
- Guaranteed Quality
- Value for money
- Assortment may vary
BIC Pocket Lighters provide up to twice as much light as the next full-size leading brand. They are perfect as a birthday gift or any festive season.
$21.24 in stock
- Genuine Zippo windproof lighter with distinctive Zippo "click"
- All metal construction; Windproof design works virtually anywhere
- Refillable for a lifetime of use; For optimum performance, we recommend genuine Zippo premium fuel, flints, and wicks
- Made in USA; Lifetime guarantee that "it works or we fix it free"
- Fuel: Zippo lighter fuel (sold separately)
The Zippo Matte is a true classic that requires no introduction.
- Lighter fluid lighter
- Steel and aluminum construction
- Weighs 2 ounces
- Available in 14 colors
The Zippo Matte Pocket Lighter is one of the most popular lighters on the market, and it should be no surprise. Zippo is one of the most respected brands in the world of lighters, and their matte pocket lighter is the bread and butter of their lineup.
The matte texture isn’t just a way to keep the price down; it’s also a feature. The texture is light and easy to slip into a pocket, while still providing enough grip to make the lighter easy to handle in heavy rain, or when your hands are sweaty.
This lighter is available in 14 different colors and comes with a plastic storage case that will keep dust and moisture out. The frame itself is 100 percent stainless steel, and refilling is easy. Simply pull the lighter out of the case, and you’re ready to soak down the cotton insert. Wicks, flints, and inserts are all readily available, so you’ll have no issues replacing parts on this versatile lighter.
- Exceptionally durable design
- Easily replaceable parts
- Not waterproof
If you want to be able to buy replacement parts for your lighter 50 years from now, any Zippo is a good choice.
- Waterproof even when submerged to 3 feet for 30 minutes
- Gas lock allows lighter to stay on without holding the gas button
- Protects the gas button from being pressed accidentally
- Floats in water
- Made in the USA
The Exotac FireSLEEVE is 100 percent waterproof, even if it’s submerged for 30 minutes.
- Non-refillable butane lighter
- Black or orange and black PVC construction
- Floats in water
- Weighs 0.3 ounces
The Exotac FireSLEEVE was designed for kayaking and canoeing, but it’s ended up becoming a popular option for backpackers, hikers, hunters, and everyone else who needs a reliable source of flame. This lighter is waterproof enough to withstand 30 minutes of submersion in water and will float on the surface if you drop it.
This lighter is made in the USA and has a locking feature that enables you to keep the flame running without the need to keep the button held down. This is useful if you’re trying to light a large fire, and want to light multiple points on the tinder.
The Exotac is a great choice for carrying a lightweight heat source that’s impervious to water. It’s hot enough to light a large campfire, as well as to light a thick cigar. If you want a powerful, versatile lighter, the FireSLEEVE will do everything you need to do.
- Excellent protection from the elements
- The secure, rubbery grip
- Not refillable
This floating, waterproof lighter is an ideal choice for canoeing or kayaking.
$22.92 in stock
- Lightweight, easy starting, wind-resistant flameless lighter ignites using electric arc; ideal for camping, backpacking, and hunting trips
- Runs on built-in, rechargeable lithium-ion battery; requires no butane fuel or adjustments for higher altitudes
- Plug into any USB port to recharge with included USB cable
- Rubberized case allows for easy grip and includes wrist lanyard
- Weighs 1.9 ounces; measures 3 x 1.5 x 0.8 inches (HxWxD); backed by a 2-year manufacturer's limited warranty
The UST TekFire is a lightweight electric lighter that recharges from any standard USB port.
- Electric lighter
- Orange ABS plastic construction
- USB rechargeable
- Latching lid
- Paracord wrist lanyard
- Weighs 1.9 ounces
The UST TekFire is a lightweight, easy-to-use lighter that’s a solid choice for camping, hunting, or backpacking. It uses an electric arc to produce a powerful heat source that’s resistant to wind and moisture. The only weakness this lighter has is the USB charging port, which doesn’t have a seal, and can collect dirt and grit which can require cleaning.
This lighter is otherwise fully rubberized and comes with a lanyard attachment for safe, secure transport. It also features a compact, lightweight battery, which is easy to recharge, and which doesn’t require any fuel for operation. A green LED light indicates when it’s turned on, so you know when you’re actually draining the battery.
- Waterproof and windproof
- Secure lid
- USB port can collect dirt
This is one of the most weatherproof electric lighters on the market.
Xikar Stratosphere II
- Single jet flame windproof lighter
- Designed to work at high altitudes
- Ergonomic design with easy grip rubber body
- Thumb activated ignition and spring assisted protective lid
- Backed by Xikar's limited lifetime warranty
The Xicar Stratosphere II is thick, chunky, and built like a brick house.
- Butane lighter
- Black or clear fiberglass-reinforced nylon construction
- Includes a lanyard
- Spring-loaded flip-up lid with button catch
- Weighs 4 ounces
The Xicar Stratosphere II is a tough, durable lighter that’s designed to take a lot of abuse. The thick, fiberglass-reinforced nylon body weighs a full quarter-pound but is nearly impervious to drops, so you’ll have a lighter that can handle anything you can dish out.
The rubberized grip is easy to carry, and you’ll also have hands-free carrying options thanks to the built-in lanyard. Tie this lighter to your backpack, loop it around your belt, or throw it in your pack. No matter what, it will be ready and raring to go.
A refillable butane fuel chamber provides plenty of storage for dozens of lights, and the flame itself is windproof and waterproof. No matter what kind of weather you’re camping in, the Stratosphere II will be more than capable of getting the job done.
- Rugged design
- Easy to refill
- Easy to carry
If you want the most durable survival lighter you can get your hands on, this is a good choice.
So, which one of these lighters is the best? It depends on what you need.
Many people prefer the reliability of an old-school lighter fluid lighter like a Zippo and other similar brands. These lighters will never fail you, and replacement wicks, flints, and fuel are all widely available. That said, they don’t stand up well to water, and the fluid evaporates after just a couple of months in storage.
On the other end of the spectrum, electric lighters are very popular for their performance under all weather conditions. They’re also stable for up to a few years in storage, although that’s going to vary depending on conditions. In addition, replacement parts are hard to find, so when something breaks you’ll usually have to replace the whole lighter.
Whether you need one of these options or a middle-of-the-road butane lighter depends entirely on how you’re using your lighter. For everyday use, a fueled lighter is more reliable, but electric lighters are oftentimes a better choice if you only use your lighter intermittently.
Don’t forget to visit the OutdoorWorld Reviews homepage for more expert information and reviews.
11 Best Survival Lighters
Prepare for the unpredictable with the best survival lighter. Here are the ratings of the top 11 options on the market.
- Dual Arc Plasma USB Lighter
- Texas Bushcraft Fire Starter
- Tough Tesla
- UCO Stormproof Match Kit
- ExoTac FireSleeve
- UST TekFire
- Xikar Stratosphere II