While there is nothing wrong with fishing from the shore, heading out onto the water in a boat can add an extra dimension to your angling adventures. From a boat, you can put yourself in the best fishing spots, instead of waiting for the fish to come to you.
Fishing kayaks make finding and catching fish a whole lot easier. Light and maneuverable, kayaks are simple to operate, and you don’t need to be a millionaire to own and operate one. The same is not always true for boats.
But which are the best tandem fishing kayaks?
In this article, we’ve reviewed ten of the most popular models so you can choose the right one for you. Each one will carry two people so you can fish with a friend. There are models to suit all budgets and needs.
Kayak fishing is one of the most accessible ways to get out and enjoy being on the water, and the great outdoors in general. Whether you come home with dozens of fish or don’t catch anything at all, fishing from a kayak is always fun and rewarding!
Best Tandem Fishing Kayaks
1 used from $900.00
- Versatile Design Allows for Solo or Tandem Paddling
- 10-Foot Compact Length for Easy Transport and Storage
- 3 Fishing Rod Holders and Rear Storage Hatch
- Stable Hull Design with a Weight Capacity of 500 lb.
- 5-Year Limited Warranty
A lot of tandem fishing kayaks are exactly that – designed to be paddled by two people. This shorter 2-person kayak can also be paddled solo, making it a whole lot more versatile. Paddle alone or with a buddy; it’s entirely up to you!
- 10-feet long
- Made from high-density polyethylene
- Weighs 82 lbs.
- 500 lbs. weight capacity
- Molded multiple footrest options
- Rear waterproof storage hatch
- Three fishing pole holders
- Front storage area with bungees
- Supplied with two paddles
This kayak is big enough to carry two adults but compact enough that one person can handle it easily too. At only 10-feet, it’s easy to transport, but the tri-hull design means it performs like a longer boat. Well-priced, this is a good kayak for all levels of paddler.
- Wide, stable hull
- Ideal for one or two paddlers
- Open top design for easy access
- Comfortable molded seats
- Relatively small for two fully-equipped anglers
While this kayak will seat two people, there won’t be much space left for lots of fishing gear. If you are staying close to shore and just need to carry your poles, you’ll be ok. But, if you want to take a cooler, fishing box, and other gear, this kayak is probably too small and better suited for solo use.
$332.30 in stock
- 18-gauge PVC construction is rugged for lake use
- 1000D tarpaulin bottom and 840D nylon cover provide durable protection from punctures
- Multiple air chambers allow another chamber to stay inflated if one is punctured
- International products have separate terms, are sold from abroad and may differ from local products, including fit, age ratings, and language of product, labeling or instructions.
Kayaks can be hard to transport and store. Most are at least ten feet long. This kayak from Sevylor is inflatable, which makes it much easier to live with than a rigid kayak. Just inflate and deflate as needed.
- 18-gauge PCV construction with glued and heat-welded seams
- Multiple air chambers for stability and buoyancy
- Five built-in fishing pole mounts
- Two fully adjustable seats with padded backrests
- Built-in paddle holders
- Multiple mesh gear pockets
- D-rings for attaching extra gear
- Webbing carry handles
Weighing in at just 40 lbs, this inflatable is light and easy to transport. It’s ideal for apartment dwellers who don’t have space to store a full-sized tandem fishing kayak. It does take a few minutes to inflate, but if you use a compressor, this is a straightforward process.
- Suitable for people with small cars or minimal storage space
- Light and easy to transport
- Wide, stable design
- Multiple air chambers for enhanced safety
- Well-equipped for fishing
- Can be fitted with a trolling motor (sold separately)
- No pump or paddles supplied
- Not as streamlined as the rigid options
To get the most from this inflatable fishing kayak, you need to make sure you pump enough air into it. If it’s too soft, it won’t handle very well. But, pumped up to the correct pressure, it feels a lot like a rigid boat, but without the hassle of having to carry it on a roof rack or trailer.
$267.53 in stock
1 used from $267.53
- 3 person/650 lb capacity, weighs 32 lbs, suitable for up to Class III whitewater
- 370 Deluxe Kayak Package features two movable, super comfortable Deluxe Kayak Seats for improved back support and 2 paddles, foot pump, and carry bag
- 2 AB30 7'10"" 4 Part Paddles with asymmetrical blade and aluminum shaft
- 2 skegs on the bottom for better tracking & speed
- Open and close drain valve, 5 deluxe 1-way inflation/deflation valves
Tandem kayaks are notoriously bulky and hard to transport. In most cases, you need an extended roof rack or a trailer, as well as the strength to lift your kayak. This inflatable 3-seater weighs just over 30 lbs and is inflatable, so it’s a whole lot easier to transport and store.
- I-beam floor for stability
- Three air chambers for maximum buoyancy
- Self-bailing port for easy draining
- Twin skegs for straighter tracking and increased stability
- Bow and stern carry handles
- Made from durable PolyKrylar for puncture resistance
- Welded seams
- 3-person/650 lbs. carrying capacity
- Weighs 32 lbs.
- 12 feet long
This tough kayak is not designed specifically for fishing, but that doesn’t mean you can’t use it for that purpose. Big enough for two plus gear or three with just poles, it’s a stable craft that’s comfortable and easy to paddle. Set up time is about eight minutes, so it’s convenient and time-efficient too.
- Very easy to set up and use
- Spacious – even for three people
- Very robust design
- Supplied with paddles, pump, carry bag, and repair kit
- Doesn’t handle as well as a plastic kayak
Because of the risk of puncture, you probably won’t want to take this inflatable kayak too far from the shore or out on rough water. But, on lakes and slow-moving rivers, it should provide a good platform for some relaxed angling.
$103.40 in stock
1 used from $146.47
- The Intex Challenger K2 Kayak is sporty and fun with a streamlined design for easy paddling
- The bright green color and sporty graphics make the kayak highly visible in the water
- Two 86 inch aluminum paddles and an Intex high output pump for easy inflation and deflation
- Made of company's rugged, super tough vinyl that's puncture and UV damage resistant for long term durability
- Measures 30 by 15 by 138 inches (W x H x D) inflated, with 400 pound maximum weight limit; includes two 86 inch aluminum oars, high capacity pump, and repair patch kit
If you are serious about kayaking and fishing, a rigid kayak is probably your best choice. However, they can be expensive, as well as hard to transport and store. This lightweight inflatable kayak is budget-friendly and ideal for more casual use. Best of all, it comes with everything you need to get out on the water, except life jackets.
- Made from high visibility super-tough UV resistant vinyl
- 5 feet long and 30 inches wide
- Removable skeg/fin for straighter tracking and increased stability
- Two adjustable seats
- 400 lbs. weight capacity
- Mesh gear storage area at the front
- Supplied with storage bag, paddles, pump, and a repair kit
This inflatable kayak has two air chambers for stability and buoyancy, as well as an inflatable I-beam floor for increased rigidity. It’s light, pumps up in minutes, and is very easy to use. On the downside, for fishing, there isn’t a lot of storage space, and it might be a tight squeeze for two people.
- Very light and easy to transport
- Good weight capacity
- Comfortable seats
- Supplied with all necessary gear, except life jackets
- Minimal storage space
- Not suitable for use on rough water
If you want an easy to use inflatable kayak for casual use and relaxed fishing, this product could be what you are looking for, especially if you are on a tight budget. But its lightweight construction means you shouldn’t take this kayak out into rough water or too far from shore. It’s definitely a casual rather than a serious fishing kayak.
$136.80 in stock
2 used from $143.92
- Comfortable For Anyone: Kayak Includes An Adjustable Inflatable Seat With Backrest; Cockpit Designed For Comfort And Space
- Dimensions: Inflated Size 10 Feet 3 X 3 Feet X 1 Feet 8 Inch; Maximum Weight Capacity: 400 Pounds
- Directional Stability: Removable Skeg For Directional Stability
- Increased Visibility: In Case Of Emergency, Bright Yellow Color Helps Visibility
- Made For Smaller Bodies Of Water: Explorer K2 Is Made For Smaller Bodies Of Water Including Lakes And Mild Rivers
Sea-going kayaks are invariably big, heavy, and expensive. They have to be to withstand the force of an angry sea! This inflatable kayak is much lighter and more compact, which means it’s designed for small, calm bodies of water like lakes and slow-moving rivers.
- 10-feet long x 36 inches wide
- Weights 30 lbs.
- Weight capacity 400 lbs.
- All-vinyl construction
- Three air chambers for buoyancy and stability
- Inflatable I-beam deck for increased rigidity
- Boston valves for faster inflation and deflation
- Removable adjustable seats
This inflatable kayak comes fully equipped with two paddles, a pump, a carry/storage bag, and a repair kit – everything you need to get out on the water. There are no fishing rod holders and very little storage space, so this isn’t the kayak for a major angling expedition. But, for a few hours on the water with a friend, it’s a great budget-friendly option.
- Light and easy to handle
- Tracks very straight
- Supplied with all necessary gear except life jackets
- Very easy to transport and store
- Not a lot of space for gear storage
- Not suitable for large bodies of open water
This lightweight inflatable kayak is ideal for one well-equipped angler or two with minimal gear. It’s not the most robust kayak on review, but if you stick to calm waters, it should provide you with a very enjoyable angling and paddling trip.
- Upgraded Features: Additional storage in this tandem kayak includes quick lock hatch and a tank well equipped with bungee cords. It's also equipped with molded footrests, two bottle holders and four accessory eyelets for your convenience.
- Stable: The twin-arched multi-chine hull offers excellent stability giving you a secure and steady ride. It also makes it incredibly easy to get in and out of the kayak.
- Safe: Our unique manufacturing process allows us to include additional flotation inside the hull of all of our sit-on-tops in order to meet or surpass ABYC standards. Holds a maximum capacity of 500 lb. Don't worry, the added scupper holes at the bottom of the kayak are completely safe and help drain any excess water that might get into your watercraft. Along with a flat hull type design, it ensures you peace of mind during your ride.
- Comfortable: The adjustable ERGOFIT G2seating system is specially designed with thicker ergonomic padding to provide targeted cushioning and better air flow. An additional molded middle seat provides enough room for any small child, pet, or extra gear you might want to bring with you.
- Lightweight: Our kayaks being made with exceptionally durable high molecular density polyethylene, less material is needed to produce each boat. Weighing 73 lb, this tandem kayak is lighter than our competitors which makes it easier to transport.
While short kayaks are often easier to handle, they can be slow and don’t always track very well. This 13-footer is made for long-distance paddling, and the extra size means there is plenty of gear storage space too. This bigger-than-average tandem kayak is ideal for longer fishing trips.
- 13-feet long x 34” wide
- Weighs 73 lbs.
- 500 lbs. weight capacity
- Two ergo-fit adjustable seats
- Single-center seat for additional passenger
- Molded footrests
- Twin watertight storage hatches
- Two storage areas with bungees
- Molded cup/bottle holders
- Twin rope and toggle carrying handles
This kayak is designed to go places! It’s stable and yet cuts through the water efficiently so you can travel further with less effort. This makes it ideal for seeking out harder-to-reach fishing spots. With plenty of storage space, this kayak is made for well-equipped anglers.
- Lots of storage space
- Streamlined yet stable hull
- Very comfortable seats
- Rugged construction
- Backed by a lifetime limited warranty
- Quite expensive
- Not an easy size to transport or store
This kayak is recommended for all levels of paddler. It’s well-equipped, spacious, and handles well too. Whether you are a casual angler or an experienced fisherman, this kayak will provide you with an excellent platform for your next fishing adventure.
$450.00 in stock
- Constructed of UV-Protected High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE)
- Versatile Design Allows for Solo or Tandem Paddling
- Two Adjustable Quick Release Seat Backs for Comfort
- Multiple Footrest Positions for Different Size Paddlers
- One Hatch for Added Storage Beneath the Deck
While rigid kayaks generally handle better and are more robust than inflatables, they are also a lot more expensive. This rigid kayak is a lot more budget-friendly, and while it is more costly than an inflatable, it’s about half the price of many comparable rigid models.
- Constructed of UV-protected high-density polyethylene
- 10 ½ feet long and 35 inches wide
- Weighs 76 lbs.
- Weight capacity 450 lbs.
- Flip-up backrests
- Molded footrests
- “Jump seat” or central storage area
- Small storage areas with bungees at the front and back
- Single waterproof storage hatch
- Self-bailing drainage ports
This is a small kayak, so you won’t be able to load it down with lots of fishing gear. But, because of its compact design, it’s effortless to handle and much more convenient to transport and store too. It can also be paddled solo, which increases the potential for gear storage.
- Compact, lightweight design
- Good features
- Not much space for gear with two paddlers
This is a sizeable solo kayak or a small two-seater. If you want to paddle with a friend and carry gear, this may not be the kayak for you. But, if you are a gear minimalist or tend to fish alone, this budget-friendly kayak is an excellent option.
Ocean Kayak Malibu
- Enjoy sun and surf with a friend or a furry companion with the kayak's three seating positions, which support solo, tandem, or tandem paddling With a child or pet.
- A pair of comfort Plus seats provide four-way adjustability, Generating a custom fit and greater slip prevention over molded seats.
- Patented overlapping foot wells allow centre-seated paddlers to settle in and brace their feet comfortably.
- The open, sit-on-top hull makes it easy to get on and off the kayak and includes a pair of molded-in handles and skid plate.
- Usable weight capacity of 362 pounds; Measures 12 Feet long and 34 inches wide. Lifetime on the hull.
Sit-on kayaks are arguably the easiest kayaks to use. With no spray decks/skirts to fit, getting on and off is a breeze, and you won’t feel claustrophobic as you can in a sit-in model. On the downside, you are exposed to the elements. This two-seater recreational kayak isn’t explicitly designed for fishing, but there is nothing to stop you using it for that purpose.
- 12 feet long high-density polyethylene hull
- Molded, padded seats with removable, adjustable backrests
- Multi-position molded footrests
- Three waterproof storage hatches
- Rope and toggle carry handles at either end, and molded carry handles on the sides
- Easy drain ports
- Weight 55 lbs.
- Weight capacity 425 lbs.
This is a tandem kayak but, because the seats are moveable, it can be set up for a solo paddler too. There isn’t a lot of space for fishing gear, but, providing you travel light, you can still have a great day out on the water in this kayak.
- Streamlined but stable hull
- Tracks well
- Easy to paddle
- Versatile seating options
- Very robust design
- Paddles not supplied
- Very little storage space
- At 12-feet long, it may be hard to transport and store
Rigid kayaks generally handle better than inflatables, but they’re also more challenging to transport and store. At 12-feet long, this is quite a big kayak, so you should consider how you’re going to get it into the water before buying. But, if you’ve got the space (and a big enough roof rack), this kayak is very enjoyable to use.
Fishing from a kayak adds a new dimension to angling. Instead of waiting for the fish to come to you, you can paddle out to find them, discovering out of the way fishing spots in the process. No bites? No problem! Just paddle to a new place and try again.
Fishing kayaks are easy to paddle, big enough for you and your gear, and provide a great way to get out and explore nearby waterways. With a tandem, you can take a friend or, if you prefer, use the extra space for any gear you want to carry.
There are lots of different makes and models to choose from, to suit all budgets, levels of experience, and needs. Inflatables are light, compact, and easy to transport and store, while rigid kayaks are more robust and better suited to larger, rougher bodies of water.
Tandem Fishing Kayaks
Choosing the best and safest Tandem Fishing Kayak is easy with our detailed reviews and ratings.
- Lifetime 10 Foot
- Sevylor Coleman
- Sea Eagle 370
- Intex Challenger
- Intext Explorer
- Pelican River
- Evaxo Kokanee
- Ocean Kayak