When it comes to hunting, especially in steep, rocky upland areas, you need a pair of hunting boots with fantastic quality, comfort, and durability. Upland areas, the places you may wind up hunting pheasants or other avian prey, can be extremely rugged, wet, and downright uncomfortable. The best hunting boots will keep you dry, comfortable, and able to hike for miles without undue fatigue.
In this guide, we will show you the fifteen best upland hunting boots on the market. Our in-depth guide will go over the pros and cons of each boot that we’ve selected, as well as important key features. This way you can pick out a boot that is guaranteed to be functional and comfortable for all of your upland hunting needs, without having to do all of the legwork of researching.
Best Upland Hunting Boots
Irish Setter Wingshooter
$142.46 in stock
- All Day Performance: The removable polyurethane footbed and moisture wicking nylon lining gives your feet long-lasting comfort.
- Tough Terrain Traction: Keep stability and traction through uneven terrain with the durable debris-shedding Prairie outsole.
- Waterproof Design: Full grain leather is protected with UltraDry waterproof construction that combines moisture management lining with waterproof components for dry, long-lasting comfort and performance.
- Lightweight Comfortability: This boot is surprisingly lightweight, and the sole includes a comfortable steel shank which provides more stable footing and helps support your feet and calves.
- Platform Construction: The Goodyear Welt construction of the sole platform prevents water intrusion and adds strength and durability to the boot making it long lasting. It allows the boot to be resoled to extend the life of the boot.
Boasting an aesthetic, rugged look combined with refined functionality, you can’t go wrong with the Irish Setter Wingshooter boots.
- 100% full-grain waterproof leather with Nylon liner
- Rubber sole
- EVA midsole for reduced weight
Irish Setter is a brand name that you’re going to see a lot on our list here, and for good reason. The company has spent approximately 60 years perfecting the art of manufacturing a fantastic, quality piece of footwear.
A prime example of that dedication to craftsmanship can be found in the Wingshooters. A full-grain leather exterior gives a rustic, classic look to these boots while providing excellent waterproofing. Meanwhile, the Nylon-lined interior maintains essential breathability and comfort. Additionally, the padded collar of this boot will provide ankle support as well as an increased amount of comfort.
Finally, the EVA midsole brings this boot together perfectly. It helps to distribute weight evenly, and by doing that, it helps to reduce fatigue even after hours in the field or on the hunt.
- Keeps your feet dry
- Lightweight and breathable
- Great for rough turf
- May take time to break in
The Irish Setter Wingshooters are some of the best bird hunting boots available right now. Lightweight and comfortable, they make traversing rugged, unforgiving terrain a breeze.
Thorogood Men's Flyway
$224.00 in stock
- AMERICAN MADE with USA and globally sourced components by the skilled craftsmen and women at Thorogood’s US plants
- WATERPROOF BOOTS for men with gusseted tongue to keep water, liquids, and mud at bay while moisture-wicking lining inside pulls sweat away and out, so you can hunt, hike, or work without worry
- REMOVABLE ULTIMATE SHOCK ABSORPTION FOOTBED uses dual-density polyurethane concentrated under heel and ball strike zone to absorb impacts and wick away moisture for the most comfortable men’s boots out there
- GOODYEAR STORM WELT CONSTRUCTION provides superior wear resistance and moisture seal between upper and midsole making these extremely dependable, long-lasting, fully-serviceable hunting and hiking boots
- COMPOSITE SHANK CONSTRUCTION gives these tough mens boots the flex and strength needed to maintain their shape under heavy duress, and 6-inch flexible ankle support keeps you secure up top
Thorogood’s Flyway will keep your feet dry and fatigue-free as you line up your shot.
- Full-grain leather construction
- Slip-resistant traction outsole
- Made in the USA
Thorogood makes some impressively great boots overall, but their 6-Inch Flyway boots had to make our list. These boots have a breathable, X-Stream waterproof membrane that will keep your feet dry and comfortable. As an additional bonus, they are blood-borne pathogen compliant.
These boots are impressive, and will undoubtedly exceed even the most avid upland bird hunter’s requirements. The cushioned footbed is removable and will keep you comfortable even after a long day on the toughest terrain.
The rubber midsole of this boot is great for shock absorption, and the Goodyear welt construction promises to remain durable through years of wear. A simple but effective multi-directional pattern in the outsole resists mud and grit and keeps you from slipping in any conditions.
- Excellent shock absorption
- Easy to break in according to customer reviews
- Waterproof and very comfortable
- Some customers were not a fan of the gusseted tongue
- Cost may not be budget-friendly
While they may be a bit more expensive than others, you’re getting what you pay for with the Thorogood’s Flyways and it’s not a purchase any intense hunter would regret.
Danner Pronghorn Gore-Tex
$420.99 in stock
- To ensure its quality, we put our leather through six different tests before making our selection. Our full-grain leathers are the strongest and most durable form of leather.
- 100% waterproof and breathable, GORE-TEX liners ensure that no water gets in, while allowing sweat and moisture to get out.
- This rubberized EVA midsole maintains the same cushioning properties as traditional EVA, but is more durable and won’t break down as easily. This technology enhances rebound, comfort and support.
Danner boots are marked by unprecedented quality, and their Pronghorn Gore-Tex is no exception to their exceptional standards.
- Full-grain leather and nylon upper
- Rubber sole
- The outsole provides solid traction over rugged terrain
Danner is another brand that you should expect to see a lot when looking for quality pheasant hunting boots, though they make a variety of boot types for every hunting style and game type. The Pronghorn Gore-Tex boots are arguably some of their finest products, though.
Constructed with fine, full-grain leather, this boot is made to last through even the toughest conditions you may be hunting in. The sturdy rubber sole has excellent grip and is sure to last through countless, rough journeys and trips without fail. It provides excellent traction on even the most uncertain terrain.
Danner has not only perfected and patented its unique Gore-Tex waterproofing fabric, which lines the inside of this boot model, but they have also created and used Terra Force technology. This provides a lightweight platform for your feet without sacrificing durability, stability, or comfort.
Along with Ortholite footbed, which provides excellent long-term cushioning backed by comfort and performance, you can’t go wrong with these boots.
- 100% waterproof and breathable
- PU footbed enhances comfort
- High cost
We highly recommend the Pronghorn Gore-Tex as a solution to your upland hunting needs. Despite the higher-than-average cost, the quality of these boots more than speaks for itself, and they would make a fantastic investment for any hunting season.
Muck Arctic Pro
- A True Performance Product
- Quality Assured
- Designed With The User In Mind
- Tested For Function In A Real-World Environment
- User-Friendly Style And Design
If you’re planning to do any hunting in the snow or otherwise frigid climates, you should consider the Arctic Pro by Muck Boot.
- Synthetic rubber exterior with fabric lining
- Rubber sole
- Easy, pull-on design with stretch-fit comfort
With a soft but durable fleece lining and a 2mm thermal foam under the footbed for added warmth and comfort, the Arctic Pro hunting boot model ensures that your feet will stay warm and comfortable even if you choose to hunt in the tundra. These boots are tested and guaranteed to keep your feet warm in temperatures as low as -50 degrees Fahrenheit.
With an easy pull-on design, you won’t have to worry about struggling to put these boots on or take them off. Additionally, they feature a stretch-fit comfort topline that will rest snugly against your calf, keeping out the cold and snow and sealing in warmth.
There is also double reinforcement in the instep of this boot, as well as at the heel and the Achilles area. This gives added stability while providing comfort.
- Soft, comfortable fleece lining that will keep your feet warm
- Lightweight EVA midsole and rugged, durable outsole
- 100% waterproof
- Multiple color options available
- Some customers felt that the insole was not of a high enough quality for long-term or frequent use
While all of the boots in this guide are waterproof and can survive a multitude of conditions, the Arctic Pro takes the top spot for resisting particularly cold conditions without sacrificing functionality or comfort.
Danner Men's Sharptail
- 360° snake-proof protection
- Waterproof full-grain leather upper with lightweight 900 denier nylon
- GORE-TEX waterproof breathable lining
- Rear gusset with rugged hardware offers adjustable fit and long-lasting performance
- Cushioning open-cell OrthoLite footbed
Worried about local snakes taking a crack at you? Worry no more with Danner’s Sharptail Snake Boots.
- Full-grain leather upper with lightweight nylon
- Rubber sole
- The rear gusset offers an adjustable fit
Along with the other Danner boots on this list, the Sharptail Snake Boots are unique and boast a high quality all their own. It’s hard to expect anything less than quality when you consider that Danner has been manufacturing hunting boots for about 85 years now, and they certainly seem to know what they’re doing.
These boots stand out from the other Danner models on this list because they feature a snake-proof TPU shank. If you live or hunt in an area with particularly antsy or venomous snake species, this is a great thing to have just in case you don’t see the upset reptile before you take your next step.
The leather and Nylon combination of these boots keep them soft and flexible for easy wear and maneuverability. Danner’s Gore-Tex lining keeps the boot waterproof but breathable, while the removable polyurethane footbed ensures that heat is channeled away from your feet to cut down on sweating. This model of the boot also features fantastic traction and incredibly durable soles.
- Snake-proof TPU Shank
- Wide opening and tall shaft
- Ortholite cushioned footbed for comfort
- A bit costly
- Some customers aren’t a huge fan of the aesthetic design of the boot
If snakes are something you worry about biting through your boots or you’re particularly prone to thorns biting through your pants or over your boots, these Danner’s Sharptail Snake Boots are the perfect solution for your next hunting excursion.
Lacrosse Women's Alphaburly
- Hand-laid premium rubber over a 3. 5mm neoprene core for flexible, waterproof, scent-free comfort
- Embossed liner increases air circulation inside the boot, wicks moisture and is quick drying
- Active Fit with adjustable neoprene gusset for easy on/off and a secure, comfortable fit on foot
- Multilayer rubber on the toe and heel plus a double-layer vamp for added support and durability
Hunt confidently in the lightweight, premium Lacrosse Women’s Alphaburly’s.
- Hand-laid premium rubber with neoprene core
- Multilayer rubber heel and toe
- Two different color options
LaCrosse makes fantastic hunting boots for men and women alike, and the Alphaburly Pro model is no exception to the high industry standards. It features a premium, natural rubber that is hand-laid over an insulating neoprene interior. This means that you get an increased level of durability, flexibility, and comfort while you hunt.
These boots have a unique tread pattern that gives you all of the traction to move comfortably and confidently through the most demanding terrain. The tread features chamfered edges that shed all kinds of mud and muck, allowing you to move quickly with unquestionable certainty.
The rubber exterior of these boots helps to keep your scent suppressed, ultimately combining comfort with unequaled scent protection.
- The embossed liner increases air circulation
- Neoprene gusset for easy wear and removal
- Increased support and durability
- May fit tightly on larger calves
The Lacrosse Women’s Alphaburly’s remain durable, flexible, and comfortable no matter where, how, or what you choose to hunt.
Irish Setter Big Game Womens
- All Day Performance: The removable polyurethane with memory foam footbed gives your feet long-lasting comfort, while high-rebound EnerG material delivers a recharging burst of energy with every step. The CuShin comfort tongue and memory foam collar help reduce pressure on your ankle and shin. ScentBan technology helps eliminate and resist odors.
- Tough Terrain Traction: Keep stability and traction through uneven terrain with the durable outsole with tapered rubber lugs and toe tread. The sole includes a comfortable shank which provides more stable footing and helps support your feet and calves.
- Waterproof Design: Full grain leather with abrasion-resistant ArmaTec XT material and honeycomb ripstop upper is protected with UltraDry waterproof construction that combines moisture management lining with waterproof components for dry, long-lasting comfort and performance.
- Lightweight Comfortability: Weight of the boot is reduced with PRM technology in the sole, a breakthrough composite material providing extreme comfort and added endurance. Engineered to provide the durability and strength of traditional materials without the extra weight.
- Insulated: Boot is insulated with high density 400g PrimaLoft that is designed for repeated compression and durability over time for dry, long-lasting comfort and performance. PrimaLoft insulation is made of 90% post-consumer plastic bottle fibers which keeps your feet warm and is good for the environment.
Men aren’t the only beneficiaries of the Irish Setter boots, and there’s no loss in quality or comfort with the women’s line.
- Full-grain, waterproof leather uppers
- Rubber sole
- 400g of PrimaLoft insulation
Irish Setter has been making quality hunting boots for about sixty years, and the quality of their product lines shows it. They didn’t lose any of that quality when they began introducing women’s boots to their portfolio.
The Big Game women’s hunting boot features the full-grain, waterproof leather and camouflage uppers, the ScentBan lining, the UltraDry construction, and the impressive RPM technology.
Break these boots in and enjoy comfort, durability, and functionality on your next hunting trip!
- Lower price than similar hunting boots
- ScentBan lining
- RPM technology keeps the boot lightweight
- UltraDry construction keeps boots waterproof and comfortable
- Need time to properly be broken in
- May fit a little tighter than anticipated
With a 7 inch shaft and a combination of lightweight materials and construction, the Big Game Hunting Boots will not overbear any wearer and will allow you to hunt your prey without fatigue or discomfort.
Muck Boot Womens Woody PK
$131.43 in stock
- Lightweight 4 mm CR Flex-Foam neoprene is 100% waterproof with exceptional comfort, flexibility, shock absorption and heat retention; adjusts to your foot contours to resist blisters and chafing
- Lightweight and breathable pack mesh lining keeps feet well ventilated for long-wearing dryness; comfort rated from subfreezing
- Lightweight EVA midsole for additional cushioning, support and impact resistance all day long
- MS2 Bobbed molded outsole reduces weight and improves stability for climbing and trekking
- Rear pull tab for easy on/off
If you’re a woman and need some great bird hunting boots, look no further than the Muck Woody PK.
- High-grade rubber construction
- Rubber sole
- Rear pull loop for easy wear and removal
Comfortable, functional, and stylish, these hunting boots are perfect for any woman that wants to enjoy hunting with a little extra flair in their step. The performance of these boots is no lesser than those of the men’s variety.
Not only are they stylish, but they also can be purchased with a warm-weather or cold-conditions package. The pack mesh lining is great for warmer weather or climates, keeping your feet cool and your boots breathable. The fleece lining option keeps your feet warm in even the coldest weather, through rain, snow, and more.
The high-grade rubber uppers and soles of this boot are completely waterproof while allowing the inside of the boot to remain totally comfortable. There is little to no chance of developing sores or blisters while wearing these boots with their EVA foam midsole, no matter what conditions you’re working or hunting in. They are easy to slip on and off by use of the rear pull loop.
- Excellent waterproofing
- Lightweight and breathable
- Pink highlights break the camouflage effect
- Runs a little large
These are fantastic bird hunting boots for women, but you can use them for any kind of work or leisure outdoors.
WOLVERINE Men's 6"
$59.99 in stock
1 used from $57.88
- Full-grain waterproof leather
- Rubber outsole to provide extra traction
- Cushioned footbed for all day comfort.
While many upland boots have traditionally focused on completely leather uppers, Wolverine’s Floorhand Hunting Boots have found a perfect balance of leather and nylon to provide a balanced, lightweight boot that doesn’t sacrifice quality.
- 100% leather
- Rubber sole
- Waterproof and insulated
Wolverine has stepped up to the plate to provide a boot that is not only comfortable and fully-functional but one that is undeniably pleasing in the aesthetic sense. While style isn’t the most important factor in a quality upland hunting boot, it is nice to have a balance of comfort and style.
The leather and Cordura Nylon combination in the boot’s design makes for a fantastically lightweight design that is not only great for breathability, but also for resisting and rejecting water. Many customers have claimed to be able to stand for hours in mud, water, and snow without these boots leaking at all.
An added bonus of all of the above when talking about these boots is that they’re reportedly easy to break-in. They do so quickly and comfortably without any extra work on your part, meaning you can enjoy them on long treks much quicker than you would with some other models of hunting boots.
- Removable full-cushioned footbeds for comfort
- Waterproof and comfortable
- Reportedly easy to break-in
- Some customers claimed the boot fit was narrower than anticipated
The Wolverine’s Floorhand boot is easy to break in and providing impressive comfort and durability, these boots are a great choice for any hunter to invest in.
Irish Setter Men's Big Game Hunt
- Full-grain waterproof leather and abrasion resistant nylon
- Bi-directional lug pattern outsole for increased traction and balance
- ScentBan Odor Inhibitor
- CuShin Comfort tongue technology was designed to minimize pressure some hunters feel on their shin from the top of the boot tongue.
- Removable Memory foam footbed
The Big Game Hunt boots bring all the heart and soul of a hunting boot with the comfort and sole of an athletic shoe.
- Synthetic materials used in construction
- Rubber sole
- Realtree Xtra Camouflage
The Big Game Hunt boots by Irish Setter feature new RPM technology. This is a breakthrough in composite materials that significantly reduces the boot’s weight and provides additional, extreme comfort and endurance. These boots are engineered to provide the durability and strength of traditional materials, without the extra, unnecessary weight.
Along with featuring Irish Setter’s UltraDry technology and construction, these boots also feature another Irish Setter exclusive: ScentBan. ScentBan is added to various materials throughout the construction of the boot, from the leathers to the footbeds. This kills the bacteria that are responsible for foot odors.
- ScentBan scent control
- Extremely durable
- Customers say these boots are amazingly comfortable
- Fit may run small so you may have to order a half-size up
- Ankle opening appears to fit too tightly for some customers
Waterproof, durable, and with innovative technologies built right in, the Big Game Hunt boots are well worth checking out no matter your level of hunting expertise.
Upland hunting boots are designed especially for those who need a lighter, but still protected step when tracking game through the woods, wetlands, or any kind of unforgiving terrain. Traditionally, upland hunting boots are made for bird hunters.
But in recent years, many other hunters have found a quieter, more lightweight boot to be beneficial as well. This is only aided by the fact that these boots also tend to be more comfortable.
No matter what upland hunting boots you choose, you should make sure that they are comfortable, breathable, and waterproof at a minimum. You should be sure they are made of quality materials as well, because the more durable materials your boots are made of, the longer they ought to last.
Keep in mind to check reviews regarding the fit of the boots you have in mind – some boots may run large or small depending on the manufacturer and design or cut of the boot. Visit the OutdoorWorld Reviews homepage for more expert advice and reviews!
Best Upland Hunting Boots
Check out the 10 top-rated Upland hunting boots!
- Irish Setter Wingshooter
- Thorogood Men's Flyway
- Danner Pronghorn Gore-Tex
- Muck Arctic Pro
- Danner Men's Sharptail
- Lacrosse Women's Alphaburly
- Irish Setter Big Game Womens
- Muck Boot Womens Woody PK
- WOLVERINE Men's 6"
- Irish Setter Men's Big Game Hunt