If you own a handgun or you have had the opportunity to hold one in the past, then you will know how important holsters are and how effectively they function.
The introduction of gun holsters can be traced way back to 1930, when John E. Berns from the US naval rifle team partnered with Martins, his teammate, to develop this wonderful invention.
Because of this partnership, their invention was named the Berns-Martins gun holster, and it would later be adopted by the US forces and the world at large.
The adoption of leather gun holsters by the US forces gave those in the force a comfortable way of carrying their safe firearm and still promoted easy access.
Another advantage of leather gun holsters is that they are relatively easy to make, and this article centers on the different types of gun holsters and how to make a leather gun holster.
How to make a Leather Gun Holster
A gun holster is a device used to steadily attach a firearm to the body comfortably.
It is used to restrict the movement of the gun, as it is often attached to a place in the body where it can be easily accessed and drawn out for use.
There are different types of holsters, and while some are well known for keeping firearms, others are a little less prominent but equally useful.
The holsters used by law enforcement agents often come with a strap at the top to help prevent the gun from falling off when the user is in action.
Leather holsters are arguably the best handgun holsters available today because they are strong and provide almost every quality you want from a good holster.
They are available for purchase in different shapes, sizes, and designs, and they are well equipped to serve you well.
However, leather holsters may be quite expensive to purchase, which means that they may not be affordable to everybody.
The good news, however, is that they are effortless to make, and you can make them from the comfort of your home.
- A gun
- Meter rule
- Blades and scissors
- Leather needles
- Hole puncher
- Leather glue
- Waxed thread
- Place the unloaded gun on the poster board and use your pencil to mark the edges on the board, and make another line above the marked lines
- Gently cut out the shape and fold it against the other line in the paper template
- Place the template on your leather and trace the shape on it with the respective holes, then cut out the shape with the tools you have. Make sure to cut very carefully to avoid ruining the material.
- Cut out another slightly bigger shape from your leather and set it aside differently
- Use oil and dye to smoothen and shine your holster then you can make stitches on it to give it more character and design.
- Finally, stitch your cut-out leather materials together in the shape you want, and make sure your stitches are very strong and neat.
Why You Need A Gun Holster
Generally, a gun holster is used to provide extra security for the gun. Steadying the firearm and making it readily and easily accessible are the primary functions of a holster.
Most times, the need to steadily secure your firearm and prevent it from falling off at any time often clashes with the need to make the gun easily accessible. If the firearm is mostly used for defense purposes, it is important to prioritize accessibility because any hesitation while in action can be detrimental.
On the other hand, if the weapon is not girded well, it could easily fall off and get damaged at a very wrong time.
Types Of Gun Holsters
There is a wide variety of gun holsters available today, each uniquely specified with special qualities that make them outstanding.
When it comes to the design of holsters, you will not only find variety in the shapes, but in the sizes, pattern, and materials used too. Hence, there are different ways to categorize gun holsters.
When classifying holsters by their method of usage, there are four types of handgun holsters. They are:
- Duty holsters: Duty holsters are specially designed for uniformed law enforcement agents like police and security details. Which means that they can be carried openly and do not need to be concealed.
- Tactical holsters: Also referred to as military holsters, this type of holster is either made of leather or plastic, and it is used by military personnel in front lines. It shares a few similarities with duty holsters as it is mostly worn around the waist too, but it is unique for being camouflaged, and it prioritizes retention over accessibility.
- Concealment holsters: Concealment holsters are a special type of holster designed to be easily concealed and hidden from plain sights. They are very light, and they are designed to hold subcompact firearms in concealment. This type of holster is mostly worn under the cloth in areas that are hard to spot and yet easily accessible.
- Sporting holsters: This type of holster covers a wide variety, and is used for sports purposes, including hunting and shooting sports. It is often characterized by its adjustability and fast draw features.
Holsters can also be classified by the type of material with which they are made, and the most popular among these classes is the leather gun holster.
Gun holsters are very useful and can function very effectively when used correctly. Leather holsters are the most popular gun holsters today because of their beauty, neatness, and durability.
Although other types of holsters like the Kydex holster, which are made from soft plastic materials, also enjoy a certain degree of fame in some regions, the supremacy of leather hoisters is unchallenged in most.
And while other materials are hard to craft with, leather holsters can be easily made without much requirement.
Nevertheless, it is important to note that the functionality and usage of a holster should be the major determinant of the pattern and design it will carry, along with the materials with which it will be made. Check out the OutdoorWorld Reviews homepage for more expert information and reviews.
Leave a Reply