The origin of the tactical pen can be traced back to Japan, and it was inspired by Kubotan. Kubotan is a weapon invented by a Japanese man named Sake Takayuki Kubota in the 1960s.
The tactical pen features a tapered dull point on one end and a pen on the other, and it is completely camouflaged as it has a discrete look. The tactical pen is distinguished from the Kubotan due to its multitasking ability, unlike the Kubotan, a discrete weapon.
This tool can be very lethal in the right hands, thus demanding special skills.
This article highlights what a tactical pen is, how to use it, the benefits of having one, and the uniqueness of the different types of tactical pen.
How To Use a Tactical Pen
What Is a Tactical Pen
A tactical pen is a tactical tool with features that can be used to ensure one’s safety when threatened. Technically, this tool is a survival tool because its features allow the tool to be used for diverse functions in an emergency.
As we recall, this tool was initially proposed as a weapon, and here’s an outlook of the feature that makes it an ideal weapon or survival tool. The features are:
1. The pen feature: This tool functions like a normal pen giving it the power of disguise. It is a common feature in all types of tactical pens.
2. The body: The body of this tool comes in different strong materials, including aircraft aluminum and hardened steel.
Either of the two materials, when used, the pen a very hard yet light body.
3. DNA collector: This feature is not common for all tactical pens. But when present, it allows the user to collect lite data about an organism.
4. Glass breaker tip: The tactical pen has a very strong design due to its material. This gives the pen ability to break through brittle surfaces.
5. Flinch: Some tactical pens come with a flinch, which can be used to start a fire when out camping or even at home. This feature is common in most tactical pens.
6. Torch: The torch feature allows the pen to be used as a torch to light a part in the dark.
7. Handy belt clip: This feature serves as a clip to peg the tactical pen to the cloth. It is found either on the body or the detachable cap of the tactical pen.
8. The Kubota edge: This feature is found in all tactical pens, as it is the weapon that makes the pen a defense tool. When used properly, it has the potential to cause severe damages to the attacker.
9. Whistle/screw/knife: These features may not all be present in a tactical pen, but they can each function independently like the real ones.
Types Of Tactical Pen
Tactical pens exist in different types, and their sizes and weight generally characterize them.
1. Under Control Tactical Pen: This is the most fully-featured tactical pen available. It features a handy belt clip, DNA catcher, glass breaker tip, LED torchlight, and a clicker in place of a pen cap.
It spots a black finish and is made from aircraft aluminum, giving it a weight of 1.6 Ounces and a length of 6.5 Inches. It is also durable and can withstand extreme pressure.
2. Gender Impromptu Tactical Pen: It spots a rugged design and is made from hardened steel, making it durable. It is 5.59 inches long and weighs 2.25 ounces. It exists in different colors and possesses similar features to the under-control tactical pen.
3. Smith and Wesson Tactical Pen: This is the closest in size to a normal pen. It exists in 4 different colors (black, grey, silver, and pink). It features a stylus tip, textured grip, and a glass breaking tip, among others. It is light and short with a length of 5.7 inches and a weight of 1.4 Ounces, and it is made from aircraft aluminum.
4. Schrade tactical pen: It also exists in four different colors (black, grey, brown, orange) with a weight of 1.7 ounces and a length of 5.9 inches. It features a whistle, flinches, and a torch, which is generally an ideal tool for campers.
Guides On How To Use A Tactical Pen
1. As a defense tool or weapon:
If you own a tactical pen for the above reason, it pays to have a plan when using it.
a. Using the handy belt clip, place your pen in a secure yet easily accessible position on your body.
The best positions include your chest or trouser pockets
b. When the attacker is in close range, having a strong grip of the pen aim for vulnerable parts of the body like eyes, nose, ears, neck, etc.
c. Take repeated jabs at the attacker to create enough space for you to escape.
d. Remember to clean up the pen when you get to a safe place.
2. As a Survival tool:
a. Place the pen where it can be easily accessed.
b. Use the features on the pen as you would use the real ones.
3. As a normal pen
It is important to note that owning a tactical pen is not considered illegal. In fact, it is highly recommended in most countries, making it an ideal safety and self-defense tool.
Owning a tactical pen for self-protection is a good idea. However, there are certain factors to consider before acquiring a tactical pen.
Factors like your lifestyle, how discrete the pen is, and unique features like the grip and feel of the pen can go a long way in helping your decision.
Having a pen that gives enough grip, so the pen does not fall off your hands is essential.
A tactical pen is inexpensive for the protection it offers, and it is also an important tool to carry on camping, hunting or hiking trips like a flashlight. It is a great alternative to carrying knives, guns, or pepper spray because it is legal in most countries, and its appearance allows it to hide in plain sight.